New Photos of CaliWagon83’s ‘83 Regal Estate

Status
Not open for further replies.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
That's one clean wagon! Glad you have it close at hand now!

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks. Is making me kick myself all the harder for f***ing up the filler panel! :blam:
Don't be so hard on yourself.... as they say...sh*t happens. You just try to correct it and move on.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
that really is a beautifully preserved piece!

• Agree

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
That is a nice looking wagon. Do not kick yourself too much for the filler panel. Stuff happens and before long it will be fixed and as good as new. We all have had at one time or another those type of incidents. How many times I regretted the “maybe the bolt could use just one more turn” or “I can fix this no problem” has caused me undo stress over the years! lol

• Agree

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Yeah, I really feel blessed to be starting with such a clean survivor. It’s far from perfect. The last time I drove it, I remember it being a little shaky (worn/missing bushings?) and of course, there’s only so much you can do with the NA 3.8.

I had these grandiose ideas about building a GN clone wagon, but now that I’m looking at it and spending time around it, I’m kind of thinking I want to keep the exterior original, and just some minimal interior updates. Heck, I’m even thinking about keeping the column shifter!

As far as the engine...Still toying with the idea of the Caddy LF3/LF4, but my concern is about future support and parts availability. Not many of the engines were made, and I’ve heard rumors Caddy may be replacing it with a small-displacement turbo V-8 soon.

In terms of the LS/Gen-V LT, tons of them have been made, and there’s ample aftermarket and OE support for them, and probably will be for the foreseeable future. I think this is my game plan now:

• Find/replace missing/damaged interior/exterior trim pieces
  • Strengthen/replace frame, replace chassis/suspension bushings
  • 8.5/Ford 9” rear axle, 3.08 or 3.23 rear (more concerned about comfy/economical cruiser than ETs), w. rear disc conversion.
  • Dakota Digital VHX cluster (really like the look of those)
  • Add reclining feature to front split bench, or find seat that has it.
  • Update head unit to more modern one with Bluetooth/SXM capability etc.
  • And for the powertrain, just the proven/potent power of an LS3 or LT1 E-Rod. (Remember where I live!)
Of course, I’m sure there will be a million and one other little nit-picky steps and details along the way, and I’m sure I’ll be coming on GBF plenty for advice, tips, and trying to find obscure parts. I’ll be sure to keep you posted.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
glad you're thinking about keeping the exterior stock, it really is in too nice of shape to alter... I could understand if there was damage or too heavy of a patina on it...as for all the other plans, write a list before you start, and when you get finished, look at that list, and compare just how far that plan changed! it happens to all of us! (my Regal plan has changed direction/style/engine about 5 times since I bought it all those years ago!):doh:

did I mention that I really dig your car? :D

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Add my vote to the "leave the cosmetics alone" column. Looks too nice to undo.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
A needless trip to paint jail will kill any project.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor