"New pics 4/10" Long tube Headers hitting on right side control arm.. normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr84monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 23, 2018
I just had an engine installed and the guy who did the work had this engine and header combo in his car. There was a dent in the header to clear the top of the control arm, but on mine he said that he had to grind a smidge on the arm and dent the header a bit more. He did say that they were not necessarily for a g-body more for HP.
My question is does this issue exist on long tube headers for a g-body? Also would this issue be better or worse with tubular a-arms?
IMG_20190303_174134.jpg IMG_20190303_174207.jpg

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
A ding here or there in a tube doesn't affect performance much at all (not enough to notice, anyway). I'd be more worried about a leak at that flimsy flange.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

spicercars

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2019
Saginaw MN
I tried several long tube headers on mine with no luck. Finally went with the headman coated shorties and they fit great.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I had headers on both my 78 and 79 malibus and never had an issue like that with either. What was an issue was how close they were to the factory metric starter. The 78 never gave me issues but the 79 did have hot start issues with the 406 in it. But I can't say for sure if that was not due to the battery in the trunk, or the factory starter was just shot.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I've run Dyno Max, Hooker, Headman, and Schonefeld headers w/ no problems. Don't worry about a dent for clearance.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
Look how many shims you have spacing your control arm. That's where your interference is coming from. If you had even one less shim your upper control arm would move to the outside of the car and probably no longer hit the header. Two shims and definitely no contact. You might want to check your alignment/suspension before you do anything else.

83beater

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2019
Both my elco run long tube .I just have my neighbor (owns a machine shop) take then to his shop and puts them on his press 1. To clear the a arm 2. To give be more room for the oil filter (picture is where I marked it for him to press)

Attachments

• 20190120_135938.jpg
    20190120_135938.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 457

mr84monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 23, 2018
Look how many shims you have spacing your control arm. That's where your interference is coming from. If you had even one less shim your upper control arm would move to the outside of the car and probably no longer hit the header. Two shims and definitely no contact. You might want to check your alignment/suspension before you do anything else.
I noticed that too, unfortunately I think that I'm stuck with that many shims. Last time I had it aligned (about 1995) when I left the shop car didn't go straight and they literally spent hours and said that it was in tolerance before, but made it to dead spec perfect on the alignment rack. It's went straight ever since. Most likely a result from an accident in 1993. I'll have them give it another shot when I do wheels and tires. I think for now I'm going to just leave it, and see what happens.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Thats the economical way to go. A frame shop thats been around since the 80s could figure out what is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor