"New pics 4/10" Long tube Headers hitting on right side control arm.. normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
All the no name or some flowtech longtube headers I've used all had to be dented a little near the passenger upper control arm which is normal unless you buy the higher end brands that are made for our cars.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Not always, I bought high priced SS Hooker headers and had nothing but problems. That was after I sent the Flowmasters back that one side wouldn’t fit at all.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

mr84monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 23, 2018
I was recently under the car and it's even worse from the bottom. My thought is that these are no G-body headers. If they fit, I'm willing to buy American Racing Headers or Dougs, but before spending that kind of money I want to make sure they fit.
Pictures taken from looking up at the headers from below.
IMG_20190409_203848.jpg IMG_20190409_203944.jpg IMG_20190409_203951.jpg IMG_20190409_204009.jpg

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
You don't need them fancy, expensive brands unless it makes you feel better. I have run long tub hooker comp(PN#2451 I believe) and had to ding them a bit.
I switched to Hedman mid length last time around and they fit like a dream! PN#68600

mr84monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 23, 2018
You don't need them fancy, expensive brands unless it makes you feel better. I have run long tub hooker comp(PN#2451 I believe) and had to ding them a bit.
I switched to Hedman mid length last time around and they fit like a dream! PN#68600

It's not that I "want" to spend the money for a fancy brand, but if they are the best fitting ones without interference, I'm willing. The guy who sold me the engine and headers had them in his 86' Monte, so I had assumed that there were no clearance issues. Then of course after I had them coated and he installed them, he told me that it wasn't necessarily about the fit as much as it was about making HP. Anyone think that the headers rubbing on the control arms like that wold cause a shimmy at hwy speeds? Very noticeable when you do a quick pull.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
It's not that I "want" to spend the money for a fancy brand, but if they are the best fitting ones without interference, I'm willing. The guy who sold me the engine and headers had them in his 86' Monte, so I had assumed that there were no clearance issues. Then of course after I had them coated and he installed them, he told me that it wasn't necessarily about the fit as much as it was about making HP. Anyone think that the headers rubbing on the control arms like that wold cause a shimmy at hwy speeds? Very noticeable when you do a quick pull.
Geez, that guy screwed you around. The difference between mid length and long tube headers isn't that huge of a difference in the HP dept....there are tons of hours and videos showing that. Actually, the typical difference made is in the upper RPMS where most people aren't even driving....only in drag or circle track apps, and still it may be like 7-10hp.

mr84monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 23, 2018
One thing that I just though of and maybe why the headers aren't a great fit. I have Vortec heads. Will normal G-body headers work on the Vortec heads? Thinking that possibly he matched them to the head and not the car??

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
I agree with the others, a few dings won't matter much but I would be more worried about the lack of room for engine movement which could do more damage to the headers.

83beater

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2019
I was recently under the car and it's even worse from the bottom. My thought is that these are no G-body headers. If they fit, I'm willing to buy American Racing Headers or Dougs, but before spending that kind of money I want to make sure they fit.
View attachment 110781 View attachment 110783 View attachment 110784 View attachment 110785
Yup that's
View attachment 110781 View attachment 110783 View attachment 110784 View attachment 110785
Yes you need to ding it there .I need mine up and marked where I needed to ding them

Attachments

• 20190120_135938.jpg
    20190120_135938.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 189

Jame

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2018
My 79 had hookers on it when i got it. The control arm is shaved at the same place as in your pics. Went with hedmans they clear everything. But did have to move the right side brake line up a few inches on the crossmember. But i did use the 1.5 dia ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor