Apprentice
Sep 20, 2010
windsor, OH
Im new to G bodys, I have done some work on other cars with friends:
70 AMX
80 Camaro
70 GS
69 Chevelle
but this project is a little different, I want to do some custom work rather than just a resto. Ive had it for 2 weeks but has been sitting for 6 years, there is quite a bit of surface rust and what not.
So far I have:
removed the AC/Heater unit and vents
removed vinyl roof
cleaned interior and under hood
Got it started the other day, the engine wouldnt turn over so I added new plugs and gas, let some penetrating oil sit in cylinders for a few days and it finally broke free. There is a fuel leak somewhere in the carb so Ill look for that but eventually want to put a new motor/trans/rear axle in it.
Here are some pics, let me know what you think, ideas of what should be done.

Attachments

• IMG_1801.JPG
    IMG_1801.JPG
    772.3 KB · Views: 1,375
  • IMG_1803.JPG
    IMG_1803.JPG
    876.2 KB · Views: 1,375
  • IMG_1826.JPG
    IMG_1826.JPG
    702.9 KB · Views: 1,378

ElCamMan515

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2010
Central New York
That Looks Better Than My El Camino did when i bought it in 2007, after sitting 6 years hows the frame look? any rot or holes? i think you have a good base to start on a project. With a lil time, love and money anyhting is possible, good luck with it!

stallings.sean

Apprentice
Sep 20, 2010
windsor, OH
heres what it looked like when I got it.
The frame looks a little rusty but not rusted through. Itll need to be sand blasted and POR15'ed or something but thatll be later down the line.

Pics dont show the first day I saw it, it used to live in a garage for 6 years with a few cats and a dog that peed, crapped, and puked all over it. Ive never had to vacuum the inside and outside a car before. At least the inside was sealed so no animals got in and the cats prevented any mice from living in it

Attachments

• P1011483.JPG
    P1011483.JPG
    680.3 KB · Views: 1,361
  • P1011480.JPG
    P1011480.JPG
    711.9 KB · Views: 1,357
  • P1011475.JPG
    P1011475.JPG
    639.6 KB · Views: 1,356

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
YOu have your work cut out for you..With time and $ You should have that baby whipped back into shape. Hor are the rear frame rails and floors???? I really love the frogs on the dash :D

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
Keep it fun! If it's fun it's a hobby. If it's not fun it's a chore. Set realistic goals with your fixes to keep it fun. I like that Cutty style. Doug

stallings.sean

Apprentice
Sep 20, 2010
windsor, OH
Got the carb rebuilt last weekend and the car is running smoothly. Found out I can bypass the charcoal canister and it will run just fine.

Does anyone know what the single wire that is attached to a cylinder thing with a rubber boot on it thats bolted to the carb do? I think it has something to do with the AC but Im not sure. I was going to remove the whole bracket but the throttle return spring is attached to it. Id still like to be able to remove the cylinder thing. Sorry, not sure what it is called.

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
Nice start for a project. Is Windsor down around Blanchester? If so, i'm close to you in Waynesville and have spare Cutlass parts you might be interested in.

Gregg

stallings.sean

Apprentice
Sep 20, 2010
windsor, OH
Black Sheep said:
Nice start for a project. Is Windsor down around Blanchester? If so, i'm close to you in Waynesville and have spare Cutlass parts you might be interested in.

Gregg

Unfortunatly it looks like your on the other corner from me. Im north of Youngstown and East of Cleveland. What kind of parts do you have?

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Do you have any of the A/C parts left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor