New Question / Answer Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Hey everyone. So with the software update, I've gone ahead and enabled the "Question" thread type on most of the forum sections (not the classifieds though)... so I figured I'd throw the first one out there so you can see how it works.

You'll notice tabs at the top of the page now, so if you want to ask a question that people can vote the answers to up or down (similar to how Reddit works) you flip over to the "Question" tab.

If you're happy with the most upvoted answer (or just don't like any of them) you can go back and "edit thread" to turn off the question "actions" ... and freeze things like they are.

This way if you have a question you can ask it this way, the correct answer gets voted to the top so you don't have to wade through multiple pages of potentially bad or useless info to get to it.

So ima ask the question, does this look useful or is it just another way to confuse people?

answer away and y'all can play with the up/down vote thing. I will throw this out there, if I see the downvoting used to harass or otherwise mess with users just because.... I do have the admin capability to turn it off so you can only upvote, like I had to do with the "negative" reactions...

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
On the right side of the page where the Question is used, you'll see this:

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 11.55.19 AM.png

and on mobile, this (of course it may be slightly different depending on device/browser/etc.)

70C1A743-AE49-4343-8B6B-117A2F12FB7E.jpeg

unless I have to enable something in permissions, too... ugh. I'll go check in a little bit. That wouldn't surprise me.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
The check mark is for the original thread starter if I understand. To mark that answer as correct.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
You’ll also see the sort by date and sort by votes which do about what you’d expect.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
An opinion poll on people’s opinions and advice? I see some merit, but I also see potential pitfalls with it as well. I may not know that Fleming442 doesn’t know his stuff but it sounds good and upvote some incorrect info inadvertently. Or the one answer that was totally correct gets bypassed because that one person is the only one that knows the right answer. May be slim chances, but that needs to be taken into account. I guess it all washes out in the end anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
An opinion poll on people’s opinions and advice? I see some merit, but I also see potential pitfalls with it as well. I may not know that Fleming442 doesn’t know his stuff but it sounds good and upvote some incorrect info inadvertently. Or the one answer that was totally correct gets bypassed because that one person is the only one that knows the right answer. May be slim chances, but that needs to be taken into account. I guess it all washes out in the end anyway.

I voted for you to bring you back up to a 0.....no need to thank me... :popcorn:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Looks like it works. Lol

but no it’s not perfect. Just a feature that came with the new version. Sounded like something that we could use to bring the valuable info to the top where it’s wanted.

Don’t want to use it? Just make a normal post and don’t use that tab. Nbd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor