New Rad/Coolant Flush question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MakeMineaMonte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 18, 2018
RI
I just installed a new ECP radiator in my 305 86 Monte LS. I've been flushing the coolant from the system and it's running pretty clear. My question is this: if I haven't drained the coolant from the engine block by loosening the bolt/s on the side/s of the block, I assume there is currently just water in the system. How much antifreeze should I add to the rad/system to make sure I end up with a 50/50 mix? I'm trying to do this without fighting with those engine bolts as I assume that makes things a lot tougher...

Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I just installed a new ECP radiator in my 305 86 Monte LS. I've been flushing the coolant from the system and it's running pretty clear. My question is this: if I haven't drained the coolant from the engine block by loosening the bolt/s on the side/s of the block, I assume there is currently just water in the system. How much antifreeze should I add to the rad/system to make sure I end up with a 50/50 mix? I'm trying to do this without fighting with those engine bolts as I assume that makes things a lot tougher...
add one gallon of straight antifreeze, top off the rest as needed with the 50/50 mix, should be good to go!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Gallon and a half of straight coolant. If it won't fit drain coolant reservoir and put in there. Drive until thoroughly warmed up. Park, open hood till cool and check level in radiator. Make sure you have the right radiator cap.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I left the water in the block after I made sure it was clean. I put one gallon of straight coolant in the rad, and topped off with 5050.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Why guess, I have one of these hi tech tools to tell me what the concentration is....and like me it's cheap.... :popcorn:

71U9L9EMNPL._AC_SY741_.jpg

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Why guess, I have one of these hi tech tools to tell me what the concentration is....and like me it's cheap.... :popcorn:

71U9L9EMNPL._AC_SY741_.jpg
A necessity living in the Sub Arctic or bad things happen.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor