New radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadep76

Greasemonkey
May 11, 2021
Hi. I put a new radiator in my 1978 lemans along w a 160° therm and new upper and lower hoses. Filled up radiator and let car warm up. Temp goes to 180° and hoses feel empty. Please help.

Benwa

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2020
Winslow Illinois
Few questions...
Engine size?
Did you top the radiator off or just put cap on and start it up?
Probably not an air bleeder on radiator but AFTER it is cooled off can you pull a fitting on the intake to see it its full of water...
How long was it running for and did it cycle a few times?

Just trying to get info to access the situation.

dadep76

Greasemonkey
May 11, 2021
Chevy 350. I top it off. It was running for maybe 8-10 min. I did remove heater/ac box and plugged water pump and manifold.

fauxfour2

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2020
While waiting for other more qualified people to opine i would recommend "burping the system" . It will help get air out if that's the problem and wont hurt anything so its worth a try. Found this link to get you in the ballpark.

Reactions: 1 user

dadep76

Greasemonkey
May 11, 2021
Chevy 350. I top it off. It was running for maybe 8-10 min. I did remove heater/a
While waiting for other more qualified people to opine i would recommend "burping the system" . It will help get air out if that's the problem and wont hurt anything so its worth a try. Found this link to get you in the ballpark.

Ok cool. Thanks. I did take a mani plug out and it is filled w antifreeze..i squeeze the upper hose and see bottom hose move and fluid in radiator swash.

dadep76

Greasemonkey
May 11, 2021
Chevy 350. I top it off. It was running for maybe 8-10 min. I did remove heater/a

Ok cool. Thanks. I did take a mani plug out and it is filled w antifreeze..i squeeze the upper hose and see bottom hose move and fluid in radiator swash.
Oh...when temp goes up it starts to overflow out rad lid. Lid is off.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Normal operation would be to fill the radiator and then start the car with the radiator cap off. Keep adding coolant while it's running until the radiator stays full. Then wait for the thermostat to open, which can be identified by waiting until you see the coolant flowing in the radiator and the upper radiator hose getting hot. Then put the cap on and continue to run while watching the coolant temp gauge to ensure it doesn't overheat. After several minutes, shut it off and let it cool down to ambient temp. Then top off the radiator and put the cap back on and test run again while monitoring the coolant temp gauge to ensure it doesn't overheat.

Should be good from there.

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Any temp variance/difference can also possibly be attributed to sending unit/sensor location.

If the sensor is in the head, it might read higher vs what the thermostat reacts (opens/closes). Something to keep in mind when sorting through everything.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor