New Rear end and Axles won’t spin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevytruc1658

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2011
North Bend, Washington
Hey everyone. Just installed a new Ford 9” from QP with 3:90 third member and 31 spline axles. I got everything together and when I go to spin it, it’s extremely hard to spin. I have oil in it. When I have the wheel mounted it will barely roll at all. Not sure what I did wrong! Maybe it just needs to spin to get the fluid through the gears and the Adele’s? Any advise you have would be much appreciated.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Brake shoes too tight? Pull the wheels and drums off and see if that fixes it. May need to back off on the adjusters just to get the drums off.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
X2 with ssn696. If it still doesn’t spin easily with the wheels off and the brakes off, then drop the drive shaft and try again. After that it should turn free unless you have an axle bearing squeezed waaaay too tight.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Did the center section spin easy by itself. That will rule out a preload issue. Then after that put the axles in and see if it’s a bent axle binding it up. If it still spins after that the only thing left is brakes.

Chevytruc1658

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2011
North Bend, Washington
I believe it did spin freely before I put the axles in. The axles have been installed for a couple months and I really didn’t check whether it spun freely or not untill I mounted the rear end onto the chassis. Brake pads are off so that’s not the issue.

Chevytruc1658

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2011
North Bend, Washington
I also notice a subtle metal sound when turning it by hand. The brakes are completely disconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor