New rear end gears -

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
8x17 rims, 235/45ZR-17 gummy summer tires. I have the old 195/45R14s... I'm sure they'd burn. lol. The car handles really well, and accelerates great, just not from idle. I actually like the V6 springs in the front; has a bit of a rake but plenty of ground clearance. Since it was a low mile car, I honestly can't believe how well it corners.... in the past I had borrowed a friend's Buick and it rolled like a SOB on a worn-out suspension.

You're a cam and converter from roasting everything off from this. A 5.3 is not difficult to get 325-350 whp (w=wheel, not crank). At 300 whp no street tire will be safe. I know you're enjoying your car which is GREAT!!! But at some point you'll be ready to chuck that 1900 stall converter into the river. When that happens.......hold on.

You're 5.3 wants to see 6000 rpm's ;):):) I know how hard it is to turn up the rpm's but once you do..........hmmmm.

An LS with a low stall at 4500 is like physics without calculus or marriage without sex - what's the point? ;)

Reactions: 1 user

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
You're a cam and converter from roasting everything off from this. A 5.3 is not difficult to get 325-350 whp (w=wheel, not crank). At 300 whp no street tire will be safe. I know you're enjoying your car which is GREAT!!! But at some point you'll be ready to chuck that 1900 stall converter into the river. When that happens.......hold on.

You're 5.3 wants to see 6000 rpm's ;):):) I know how hard it is to turn up the rpm's but once you do..........hmmmm.

An LS with a low stall at 4500 is like physics without calculus or marriage without sex - what's the point? ;)
After writing these comments last night, I did roast the tires for about 20 feet at 06:30AM at a stoplight this morning. I guess I just kinda stay out of the throttle most of the time. LOL.

I think my rev limiter's at 5700

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
After writing these comments last night, I did roast the tires for about 20 feet at 06:30AM at a stoplight this morning. I guess I just kinda stay out of the throttle most of the time. LOL.

I think my rev limiter's at 5700
5700 - smh :ROFLMAO:. That thing will spin to 7500 without issue. I've been spinning my junkyard crap to 7500 for a long time. I'm sure you'll be more than safe at 6500.

Reactions: 1 user

ck1984

Apprentice
Sep 19, 2021

Doesnt the typical cammed engine only gain top end HP but sacrifice almost equal amts of lowend tq and need premium fuel?
instead of the flat TQ curve, with a big cam you end up with a curve resembling hp, that is dead in the water under 3000 rpm
that s great for 1/4 mile racing but not every day driving with load full of 2-4 passengers street driving

thats biggest reason i hated my hemi dodge ram. I made the mistake of test driving a model with 3.92 gears and it was a tire smoking beast cuz it was in its peak rpm range with that rearend
when it came time to buy one, the only one they had , had 3.55 gears and it was complete dog off the line cuz it wasnt in its peak rpm

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
5700 - smh :ROFLMAO:. That thing will spin to 7500 without issue. I've been spinning my junkyard crap to 7500 for a long time. I'm sure you'll be more than safe at 6500.
Need HPT.
Sorry, actually 5950, but still low.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Need HPT.

Sorry, actually 5950, but still low.
It's safe. You're never going to have an issue spinning it there. If you have a stock or close to stock cam, then you're not going to see much of a benefit above 6K anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor