New Steering Box suggestions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
My 84 El Camino has a very sloppy steering box. I'm looking to keep this as a daily driver and my mechanic suggested I get a close ratio box from a Monte Carlo SS.
I started looking around and there are plenty of online stores with rebuilds, but I'm not sure I know which one to pick. Of course I want a good box, even if its not close ratio. Also do I need to consider anything else with this swap? Maybe I should just buy factory new. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
There are many choices. Most opt for a used box si.ply because you can often find them for $50 or less even. Some Jeeps have the correct box, Camaro and Firebird of course, and F41 suspension G bodies. Or you can go new but the cost goes up dramatically.

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
After swapping out the gearbox in my Regal for a quick ratio out of a Monte SS that I stripped only to have it leak from the shaft seal I looked into replacing it with a rebuilt unit but most reviews are hit or miss on quality and some actually state there is no way to be sure of the ratio until you get it and check it.
So I decided to just go with a new Borgeson quick ratio box along with a new pitman arm, not cheap but worth every penny IMO knowing you are getting a quality part.
Works very well.
Borgeson Universal 800130 Borgeson 800 Series Power Steering Boxes | Summit Racing
Allstar Performance ALL56357 Allstar Performance Pitman Arms | Summit Racing
IMG_20200720_132819802 (1).jpg

Reactions: 10 users

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
After swapping out the gearbox in my Regal for a quick ratio out of a Monte SS that I stripped only to have it leak from the shaft seal I looked into replacing it with a rebuilt unit but most reviews are hit or miss on quality and some actually state there is no way to be sure of the ratio until you get it and check it.
So I decided to just go with a new Borgeson quick ratio box along with a new pitman arm, not cheap but worth every penny IMO knowing you are getting a quality part.
Works very well.
Borgeson Universal 800130 Borgeson 800 Series Power Steering Boxes | Summit Racing
Allstar Performance ALL56357 Allstar Performance Pitman Arms | Summit Racing
View attachment 167027
I'm thinking it might be worth it. I'd hate to buy a used unit just to find out it was sloppy too. These cars/parts are old, unless I can drive the car I don't know what I'm getting. Might get lucky but I don't want to waste time or chase a ghost. I just swapped a Tubro350 trans from a junk yard. 1st one didn't work, 2nd one was filled with water and case was cracked. 3rd one from a Monte Carlo works just fine. But what a pain and a waste of time. Thanks for the info. If I can find a known good box, I'll buy it. If not I'll go with a rebuild or factory new.
Thanks

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I bought mine at a local parts house. I think i had to go to an 84 or 85 ss monte carlo

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
monte SS, GN, 442 all share the same exact steering box, right down to the part number.

Most mass rebuild places like auto parts stores rebuild whatever box they get. Vice versa, if you have a "slow ratio" box and get a quick ratio from say, Advance Auto, you can plop your old one in the return box and trade it in as a core. Which means someone looking for that GN box that's quick ratio may be in for a surprise when they go to Advance and buy a steering box for a GN.

The best way to ensure you get a quick ratio is rebuild it yourself, or farm out the job to a place that will return YOUR box. Or do like 565bbchevy suggested and buy one from a reputable vendor so you know what your getting.

If you can't find one of the above boxes, internal stops need changing in an F41 Camaro/Firebird stops, otherwise they're good choices. Only negative thing about them on a G-body is as-is, your turning radius is reduced.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I have new steering boxes in both of my cars. I used Lares part #1282. Close ratio for a G bodies with sport suspenssion. Look on their website. Theyre in MN. I got mine through the local Advanced Auto. Bought it locally due to the fact there was a core charge. Rockauto was cheaper but the shipping for the core was a good amount of money due to the weight.

Reactions: 1 user

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Several years ago when I realised that my original steering box was worn out,I went all out and bought a brand new 670 Delphi 12:1 quick ratio box from SC&C.
It was a Tom Lee piece,yes it was expensive,but to me it was worth every penny.
No regrets so far !!
Guy

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor