New to forum! 88 Monte SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_finish13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 30, 2020
Hello, my name is David. I've taken a lot of advice from this forum without being a member. I live in Daytona Beach Fl, I never thought I'd fall in love with a car...but I did. Its bad. I've been intimately repairing her since early April this year. But I've got to be honest... I'm no mechanic. I'm a chef. But I'm taking this project with pride. I hope to pick sone brains here to help get thins thing back running!

Things I've replaced because It's what I thought was needed...I did all repairs myself with limited basic tools.

Transmission 200-4r bought and replaced it.
Ignition key, fuel sending unit (dropped fuel tank looked clean inside) inspected lines blown through, mechanical fuel pump replaced(x2), fuel filter, cleaned carbs and replaced gaskets...replace starter, new battree, oil change.

So now I'm stuck yet again...i turned the car over, extremely high RPM then oil starts leaking driver side above filter...I shift into reverse to see if idle may change have break down car shifts and peels out! I hit into N still extremely high RPM then I quickly shift back into P and cut it off...little leaks from where filter is...any takers?

Thanks in advanced kinda need this car to run...I need it for my daily and I don't have a load of money. Why I'm doing the work myself. Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish, he eats for life.

Attachments

• 20200615_193104.jpg
    20200615_193104.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 204
Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Extremely high rpm like what? It sounds like a vacuum leak- a big one. I'm assuming by high you mean around 1500rpm, or so. Will it idle, or does the rpm climb out of control like a runaway diesel? If it idles: get a can of carb cleaner, and spray it around the vacuum hoses under the hood. If the idle raises further, you found your leak. What was the last thing you did before the problem started?

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome to the forum, David.
Hope you're able to resolve the issue. You're certainly getting good advice. ^^ It does sound like a vacuum leak. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Have you checked the vacuum hose to your power booster? This will cause a HUGE idle increase and it sounds like your brakes are weak, SO, just thinking of the common denominator here. looks like picture below...as far as your oil "leak" could be a valve cover gasket, a oil sending unit, oil filter seal or perhaps the old oil filter seal is still stuck to the engine when you replaced the old oil filter, a double seal will cause a major oil leak. Good luck!!! Also, love your story and i think its awesome your learning on your way!! Welcome!!

Will

1593545738864.png

Reactions: 1 users

dark_finish13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 30, 2020
Much appreciated advice. So to go into greater detail, after I replaced transmission I was able to drive it to a gas station. I filled her up and she never moved, got it towed home, looked at some more of the trouble shooting pages here. That's when I went down line of fuel, Fuel Pump to carb is clean. Fires right up im talking at least 1500 rpm but i can starve it of air by closing off carb plate and turn it off. I need a new steering column as well which could affect a lot of things as far as driving/ starting. Tomorrow I'll assess my vaccum leak. I'm certain its not old oil seal, I was carful of that I even purchased new plug. I use Lucas stabilizer to increase viscosity due to FL heat it didn't drain oil just dripped when I turned over engine. Engine turned over high idle I put vehicle into (R) break applied the car aggressively squealed tires and dropped idle then I shifted to (N) engine idle increased again. Shifted back to (P) turned off engine disconnected battery and called it a day. The high idle concerns me makes it hard to work on or tune or anything but now oil leaking is even bigger and more money...when I replaced oil first time I only drove it 20 miles at most, changed it again few days ago...sh*t was so gross and dark...so much sludge. I dont have engine lift or any special tools. Also my AC blows but need to figure out why it just goes floor and top...my windows don't have switches its hella hot in there,I want to swap to crank windows. Driver door doesn't open from outside passenger door doesn't open from inside...driver door sags, needs new door seals...work is cut out but I really want to get it running. High hopes!

dark_finish13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 30, 2020
Have you checked the vacuum hose to your power booster? This will cause a HUGE idle increase and it sounds like your brakes are weak, SO, just thinking of the common denominator here. looks like picture below...as far as your oil "leak" could be a valve cover gasket, a oil sending unit, oil filter seal or perhaps the old oil filter seal is still stuck to the engine when you replaced the old oil filter, a double seal will cause a major oil leak. Good luck!!! Also, love your story and i think its awesome your learning on your way!! Welcome!!

Will

View attachment 150312
My main issue is annoying RPM and a leak above oil filter, like an attached unit... Not filter itself, I'm treading lightly because this could be the polarity of spending funds...one part VS whole tear down and what am I able to get done ON the car without removing heavy stuff. I wanted to replace the oil pan gasket...bought one but backed out and just changed the oil...I didn't know if I had to lift engine don't have enough resources for that. Plus I'd have to remove the starter again, maybe even exhaust to get more clearance. The guy who had this car before me disrespected such an amazing machine. I haven't owned a car in 7 years. After the army I kinda lost it this project is the first thing I could finally focus on. Help rehabilitate my life a bit...but working with the tools and little bit of knowledge its got its flaws.
Thanks a billion everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor