new to forum thanks for having me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas M

n00b
Feb 26, 2016
looking to put 3.73s in my 86 cutlass supreme brougham.
never done this whats bare minimum required parts?

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Welcome. 3.73s are on most later model monte ss in the 7.5" rear. Straight up swap

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Welcome from West Michigan.

Doug

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
looking to put 3.73s in my 86 cutlass supreme brougham.
never done this whats bare minimum required parts?

You need a series 3 carrier from another GM 7.5 rear end. Although not very common, 3:73 rear gears were an option for most G bodies and I have found several in salvage yards. Some S10 trucks with 7.5 rears are also potential donor vehicles.. If you have 2.73's now and want to switch over you will need the series 3 carrier unit and 3:73 ring and pinion gear set. Plan on buying new bearings and races amd seals. I've always taken my carriers to a local shop to have the old pulled off and new pressed on because I've never invested in the tool to pull the bearing without damage. Setting the pinion gear height is probably the biggest challenge but with the right tools you can do it yourself. You can buy all this stuff new from Summit too if you want to go that route. Going new might make sense for you considering the older carriers you'll likely find in the salvage yard are not re-buildable.

G-boz

Greasemonkey
Jul 13, 2008
CT
85-88 Monte SS is your best bet for a 3.73 rear. Limited slip (posi) was an option.
Just swap in the whole rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor