Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLemange

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2017
MEDFORD OREGON
Hello everyone.
I will start with a little about myself. My name is Ryan I am a parts advisor for a VW dealership. I have always been into cars and trucks, but being as I grew up in the fast and furious era it was mostly imports. and really mostly bagged mini trucks. I have always wanted a v8 muscle car though, and last sunday I finally bit the bullet and picked one up.

I feel I got a pretty good deal. but we shall see when all the rat dodo dust settles. lol I bought a 1980 Pontiac lemans two door. I don't know if it was a factory v8 car or not, but it has a 305 and floor shift th350. the motor has some goodies on it valve covers, aluminum intake mani, holly four barrel, headers, dual probably rotted out eaxhaust, and a semi built trans. It has been sitting in the same place for the last 15 years, so I know I have some work ahead of me. But the car is super solid west coast car with no rust and really not dents either.

I watched some videos with the lemans and someone said its a G body, but wiki calls it an A body. what would you all consider it?

I am super excited to get started on it and excited to meet some cool new people on this forum!
thank you
Ryan Brockmiller
00000_locTmGGH7RB_1200x900.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

thunderball

Greasemonkey
Jan 18, 2016
Nice find. I never see lemans for sale or on the road and think theyre quite sharp looking.

I kind of dig the faded orange too.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 3 users

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Welcome Ryan; I'm a slopped "C" pillar man myself. To answer your question "A" car "G" car, GM didn't change the letter code in 78 when the new smaller partial metric cars we call G cars were introduced. So even though our cars share most OK many parts with the G's that came later 1981 (?), 78 -80 were officially "A" cars. As far as I know "A" cars were GM intermediates, didn't mater if any parts interchanged through the years. So someone inside GM decided in 81 when the rear quarters were redesigned & more metric was added that they would change the code to "G". And since many of the parts on our early "A" intermediates interchange with the later G's we got included in the G family. And since the G family is one fine family I'm glad to be included. Take care Ole' Bob.

Last edited:

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Muhahahha! One more Poncho arises!

TheLemange

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2017
MEDFORD OREGON
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm super excited about starting this adventure. I have never worked on a v8 car or a car this old before.
I do have a pretty eclectic taste in things. so I will more then likely offend some people in my tastes. My plan is to add all the stuff I have seen on hotrods over the years that I have loved, big back tires, small fronts, loud bullet mufflers, gear drive, lopey cam, ratchet shift, hood ornament, that kind of stuff. first order is to of course get in running and safely driving. The guy I bought the car from, his son has a built 350 and a built th350 for 500 bucks. I think I will pick that up as well.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome to the site, Ryan....and thank you for taking the time to properly introduce yourself.
I think you scored a cool ride and a great foundation for a build.. I always liked the Pontiac lemans and GrandAm models. Keep us up to date on your progress.

Last edited:
  • Agree

TheLemange

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2017
MEDFORD OREGON
thank you longroof. well tomorrow is the day. I am picking her up tomorrow am, supposing I can rewire the front of my trailer tonight.
I will start a build thread when I get her home. I'm going to try and take lots of pictures this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor