New to G-bodies Period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Str8sixfan

Apprentice
Jul 17, 2022
Resident Ford guy here who is only 3 months into first G-body build: 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix. I'm documenting the build on YouTube, and I plan on eventually posting links to my content...however, that won't be my very first post! I want to feel things out a little first. But I do plan on sharing at some point!

Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Welcome, we very much like pics here. Even if it has be of your Ford stuff :banana:

Reactions: 1 user

Str8sixfan

Apprentice
Jul 17, 2022
My first build on YouTube (and honestly first real project car) was a 1978 Ford Fairmont. I did a fair amount to it - 4 wheel discs, 5-lug swap, upgraded sway bar, interior restoration including custom gauge pod and a head swap with mild port to stock intake manifold, smog pump delete, headers and full exhaust. Have done other things to daily drivers like lift kits and such, but the Grand Prix I would consider my second ever full fledged project car.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Resident Ford guy here who is only 3 months into first G-body build: 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix. I'm documenting the build on YouTube, and I plan on eventually posting links to my content...however, that won't be my very first post! I want to feel things out a little first. But I do plan on sharing at some point!
For what it's worth, I've got a mixed bag on advice for you here...

1) welcome aboard, and, thanks for not instantly jumping to trying to use the site to monetize your content.

2) the board is a great source of info and help on your project along the way. HOWEVER. Given past evidence and some other members who were doing youtube builds.... if you put teaser posts and a link to try making people watch the videos to see what you did, and how you did it, you're going to not only get a slow stream of viewers but your questions will begin to get unanswered by a good number of folks here as well. It's happened.

The board isn't like a facepage chat site. It exists to show people work being done, step by step in a written format hosted here, not in a video elsewhere, and, have a base of content that is viewed here, searchable, and read with pics attached without watching 20 minutes of video opinions and such mixed in.

Just a heads up.

Guys who use it as a gateway to showcase their video content haven't fared as well as they hoped. In fact, threads that went 'car ran rough, watch my video to see what I did to fix it' failed miserably and became.... unpleasant.

Not to say some videos aren't shared occasionally... just that it isn't the focus here, as you'll see if you browse around for a while. That lack isnt because it's an untapped market, it's because it's not what the forum is meant for.

Hope that helps you develop your plans and goals here a bit

Reactions: 2 users

Str8sixfan

Apprentice
Jul 17, 2022
For what it's worth, I've got a mixed bag on advice for you here...

1) welcome aboard, and, thanks for not instantly jumping to trying to use the site to monetize your content.

2) the board is a great source of info and help on your project along the way. HOWEVER. Given past evidence and some other members who were doing youtube builds.... if you put teaser posts and a link to try making people watch the videos to see what you did, and how you did it, you're going to not only get a slow stream of viewers but your questions will begin to get unanswered by a good number of folks here as well. It's happened.

The board isn't like a facepage chat site. It exists to show people work being done, step by step in a written format hosted here, not in a video elsewhere, and, have a base of content that is viewed here, searchable, and read with pics attached without watching 20 minutes of video opinions and such mixed in.

Just a heads up.

Guys who use it as a gateway to showcase their video content haven't fared as well as they hoped. In fact, threads that went 'car ran rough, watch my video to see what I did to fix it' failed miserably and became.... unpleasant.

Not to say some videos aren't shared occasionally... just that it isn't the focus here, as you'll see if you browse around for a while. That lack isnt because it's an untapped market, it's because it's not what the forum is meant for.

Hope that helps you develop your plans and goals here a bit
100% agree with the sentiment here, only thing I'd say in addition to this is that sometimes it's easier (and more comprehensive to the next person) to capture the sharing of experience/explaining a how to through video as compared to writing paragraphs after paragraphs. If a photo is worth 1,000 words, a video's worth 1,000 photos. It's a different media/way of communicating the same info. I may only be 37, but am still old enough to many times prefer a phone conversation to a text message thread.

Regardless, I've been on many (automotive) message boards since early 2000s for many different makes/models. I've had nothing less than a warm reception here, and look forward to understanding the g-body community in greater detail.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Welcome to the site. I like the thought of that Fairmont. You probably won't see me much as I tend to disappear for months at a time, and I think I'm on the verge of an engine rebuild while living in an apartment.
Best forum advice I can give is don't forget to search old threads and ignore people when they say something confrontational.
Best G-body advice I can give aside from look for rust is to reinforce the body. I frequently read that they are "wet noodles" and some guys develop cracks in the body at the tops of the side windows, since they do come to 90 degree angles.
Also, tire wise in stock wheel wells, 275 is about the max to just slap on in the rear. If you go wider than 235 up front, you may rub at full lock. Your car is older, so it may still have inch-pattern studs. The majority of Gs have metric studs. I believe the change happened near '81-'82.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor