New to G Body(Former FI F body owner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeKing84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2015
Folcroft, PA
Whats going on guys, so this is my first carbed car(84 Cutlass Supreme brougham Coupe), and i have a few questions for you all. I know its carbed so in the mornings it idle a little high, but for how long should it idle high? Also, want to do a full tune-up but cant figure out where the fuel filter is at or how to access it, i see on here that it is in the carb but how deep in the carb anyone have a how to on that? Also, my first automatic, should i flush the trans or leave it in there, and what about the rear, On my Firebird i changed all these fluids but she was a T5 and had 3.23s. Appreciate the time and help guys, this car is an absolute beauty, 84K original miles, Not a blemish on the paint, everything is flawless and beautiful.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Welcome from West Michigan.

Doug

Doug Trahan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2014
Whats going on guys, so this is my first carbed car(84 Cutlass Supreme brougham Coupe), and i have a few questions for you all. I know its carbed so in the mornings it idle a little high, but for how long should it idle high? Also, want to do a full tune-up but cant figure out where the fuel filter is at or how to access it, i see on here that it is in the carb but how deep in the carb anyone have a how to on that? Also, my first automatic, should i flush the trans or leave it in there, and what about the rear, On my Firebird i changed all these fluids but she was a T5 and had 3.23s. Appreciate the time and help guys, this car is an absolute beauty, 84K original miles, Not a blemish on the paint, everything is flawless and beautiful.
Welcome fromanother G Body owner named Doug in West MI.
I would flush the the trans. and change the filter just so you know what you have in there. Same with the rear. As far as the carb, it depends on how cold it is as to how long it will idle high, until the choke opens fully it will stay on higher idle. You may need to play with the choke adjustment and/or the fast ide screw that determines how high the idle setting is.
Not sure on the filter, but on older Quadrajet models it was right where the fuel line connects to the carb. Remove the line, then the large fitting and the filter should be there with a spring behind it, again this was how it was on older GM carbs.

Reactions: 1 user

SupremeKing84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2015
Folcroft, PA
I was always told with auto trannys to not touch the trans fluid ever. Due to the old " if it aint broke dont fix it" deal.. im going to clean the carb with some spray and do a full tune up tomrrow depending on how brutal the temp is here in PA. I'll see if i can find anymore info about the fuel filter. The help is always appreciated and thanks for the warm welcome

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Hey welcome to the site. What part of PA are you from? My car does the same thing while its cold first start up It idles high 2 mins later I just blip the trottle and it goes back down its just how it works. Old carbed cars.

SupremeKing84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2015
Folcroft, PA
Im in Folcroft, PA.... Also, I found out that it may not be the choke cause the light isnt on, but i know it works cause when i start the car intially itll flash on then go off. Thinking maybe IAC, or vac leak could be the source of the idle being a little high, it just started this morning, i bought the car yesterday and it was fine during the test drive, Maybe the Vaccum to the carb got loose, Played with it a little on lunch to no avail.. Anyone have a link to a chilton's pdf? or can tell me where the IAC is

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
I think you'll find out it's just the high idle. As said once the choke is open all the way it should drop. If it's too high it may need adjusted or the linkage may be sticking. If you mean idle speed control solenoid it's in front of the throttle linkage and has a plunger shaft that comes out to contact the linkage.
What engine does it have and does it have AC?

Last edited:

SupremeKing84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2015
Folcroft, PA
I think you'll find out it's just the high idle. As said once the choke is open all the way it should drop. If it's too high it may need adjusted or the linkage may be sticking.
Yeah i think that could be it too lol cause i noticed literally if i dont hold the brake the car will literally start going forward on its own lmao. Thought it was one of those automatic things but this thing really starts moving, so ill spray some carb cleaner all over the linkage and in the carb just to be sure as well as a great tune up

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
For the fuel filter you need to remove the fuel line from the carb then remove the fitting that it threads into, fuel filter is inside. There will be a spring to keep the filter against the inside of the fitting and be sure the nylon gasket for the filter housing is intact. Use no thread sealant on the filter housing.

I've never been a fan of transmission flushing. Routine filter and fluid changes do a fine job.
Go over all vacuum lines and check for cracks, I doubt that would be your problem but your better off catching them before they do cause a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor