Status
Not open for further replies.

mayorjesse

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 11, 2005
San Francisco, CA
New to GBody with my '83 Calais

Hey All, Mayor Here -

Just picked up an '83 Cutlass Calais, T-Tops, '87 Euro front clip. It only has the V6, but I wasn't worried b/c I wanna restore body first then get to engine - thinking of dropping in a V8 a year or two down the road. Car's got 87,000 and change, original - cleanest underbody I've seen for these (Im new to Gbody, but have looked into buying b4 when I lived in Boston - frame rails get rusted out easy there, but now I'm in sunny California and ain't no worries here apparently).

The interior is awesome, no wear at all, center console shift, maroon leather, limo tints. I'm psyched, I want to make ext. as nice.

I need to replace shocks all around- I wanted to give it a little bit of a meaner stance (like the Hurst Olds) - any suggesttions for suspension?

Does anyone know what the bracket is called that holds the front clip up from the radiator? I need to get that cause front end sags a little, needs that bracket.

Also, what rpms should engine be idling, mine seem to idle btw. 1400-1600 which is a bit high, not sure what fact. recommends. I'm not sure if tach is off (seems to shift right b4 redlining and I'm driving real easy as of now) - is this a common issue or i just need to adjust idle?

Temp gauge doesn't work. I'm uneasy about this even w/ good engine - is this a common problem? For anyone who's done it - is it easy fix in these cars?

Sorry if some of these ??'s are answered in forum, I just joined and am eager to get my car ship shape. I've had the car a day and love it. I'm off now to get haynes/chiltons manual hook up my ride.

Give a holler.
-The Mayor
'83 Cutlass Calais V6
T-Tops

Cutty87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2005
BC, Canada
Good luck with there ever being anybody on this board.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Hey mayor!

Not sure about your other questions, but if you've got the computer controlled carb, its possible your idle could be related to your temperature gauge.

Now I could be way off base since I've only ever dealt with the non-computer (pre-'81) G-Bodies, but if the cold-idle-choke is controlled by the PCM, and your temp sender isn't working, it could think its "always cold" and thus never kick it out. I had a '96 saturn the temp sender went out on, and it went into 'closed loop' mode, running rich and spewing black clouds everywhere because it never realized it had warmed up. Granted this was a '96 w/ MPI, OBDII etc. but it could be similar. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.

Changing the sensor is as simple as screwing out the old one and putting the new one in, you'll probably have to drain some green-stuff if you don't want a mess (and re-fill after).

The non-CCC cars just had a simple bi-metal spring on the choke that kicked out when it warmed up.... nice and simple.

And Cutty! :) Patience! ;)

Cutty87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2005
BC, Canada
Well, good to see somebody show up!

This forum needs users.

mayorjesse

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 11, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Computer Controlled Carb

I don't know if I have the comp. contorlled carb or if it's mechanical - I have to order a Haynes manual b/c can only find Chilton's in San Francisco and I like the Haynes setup - unless someone tells me Chiltons is better...

Anyway, I'll be working on that the next coupla days.

Does anyone know where to find specs online i.e. motor trans infofrom factory?

PS got my signals working - guy I bought it from had wired headlights into turn signal circuit -figured it out when I turned on blinikers with lights on! now I have to fix the headlight circuit -damn, but almost there (have to convert lamp socckets to '87 (bulb instead of all in one lamp) b/c of '87 euro front end takes those - hopefully I'll get to that wiring today b4 it gets dark!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor