Attachments

• IMG_20180802_142446.jpg
    IMG_20180802_142446.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 128

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Nice, welcome to the site. Got any more pics? I see the car is at a track in the pics, what's it run? What are the specs on your 383, what kind of trans do you run?

Reactions: 1 user

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Has run low 11's on slick's.
Built 2004R trans.
383 is a roller motor.
View attachment 154582 View attachment 154583

Sweet, I'm putting a 406 in my Elcamino fairly soon. How long have you had the 2004R behind that engine? What's holding up my build is indecision over transmission choice.

I can't decide if a built 2004R or 700R4 will survive for an acceptable amount of time/miles... Or if I should spend the extra money on a 4L80e or a TH400 and a gear vendors overdrive. I street drive my elcamino exclusively, and not having overdrive is unacceptable to me, if I never drove on the highway it would be fine, but I take it on road trips as it is and it sucks with the TH350 in it on the highway.

Also, don't you slice your fingers on that braided wire cover stuff on your upper rad hose? My car had a bunch of that on it from the previous owner and I took it off and threw it in the trash after I got stabbed/cut by it a couple times. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
Welcome! Nice Monte. I’m running a TH2004R behind a 383 also (85 442). I take it your trans is rebuilt too. A lot of people are leary of that trans but mine takes a beating with no problem. All you need is a builder who knows them inside and out and they’ll built it to last.

Reactions: 1 users

Gregg86ss

n00b
Jun 4, 2020
Sweet, I'm putting a 406 in my Elcamino fairly soon. How long have you had the 2004R behind that engine? What's holding up my build is indecision over transmission choice.

I can't decide if a built 2004R or 700R4 will survive for an acceptable amount of time/miles... Or if I should spend the extra money on a 4L80e or a TH400 and a gear vendors overdrive. I street drive my elcamino exclusively, and not having overdrive is unacceptable to me, if I never drove on the highway it would be fine, but I take it on road trips as it is and it sucks with the TH350 in it on the highway.

Also, don't you slice your fingers on that braided wire cover stuff on your upper rad hose? My car had a bunch of that on it from the previous owner and I took it off and threw it in the trash after I got stabbed/cut by it a couple times. 😂
This transmission in the car for the past 7 years and no problems as of yet.
During the summer I hit the drag strip at least twice a month and let her eat.
I drive a little over an hour to the track swap over my drag radials flog it for the next 2 hours doing the average of six to eight runs go back and throw on my street tires back on and drive home an hour it's never failed me yet.
as far as the upper radiator hose cover I've had good intentions on replacing that just haven't got the job done yet LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor