Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
GM's wiring on these cars is like Lego; the colour coding is consistent right up to the CANBUS era. Get an '86-78 FSM and a 1982 FSM and make a hybrid. Thats what I did for our wagon - used a 1980 Pontiac chassis harness, 1987 Monte main interior harness and 1991 Camaro accessory harness, and 2002 engine and BCM harness - still hasn't caught on fire.

A long tedious Lego build.

Also, avoid using a factory PCM on your 86-87 swap - total junk, choose something new to run it.

Reactions: 4 users

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
As of a couple years ago they were offering them as an alternative look for the 86-87 ttype rims. I do not know if they kept making them, but at the time gbody parts did.

To be honest, there is no master list for the 82gn conversion the way that, say, the gnx was documented. Not all 215 have been accounted for, and the only "way" to authenticate the cars is whether the vin falls close to the known examples (they were not sequentially built together either, being randomly pulled within a certain date window) and the installation of the unique pieces - the only truly difficult to source of which were the dash bezels and guage clock delete plate. I'd say no matter what keep those in the car, or, you lose credibility it is what you said it is. (The lower pods for temp/pressure or boost were just standard deluxe pkg/sport coupe parts, the front air dam regularly damaged and swapped for 84-85 hot air type, etc)

As far as the swap goes, back in the day the only way to do that swap was to change the dashboard wiring harness, and thus, the cluster. The wiring is different and doesn't plug together. The demand was never there for anyone to try to develop an adapter to repin, if it's even possible.

I say back in the day because, back when a friend and I did a couple, things like the fast xfi system werent available yet - not even talked about. (Late 1990s) Maybe someone else has some other answer, but, likely an aftermarket standalone management system is the way to have both.

If you're into wiring to the point you literally strip 2 harnesses to pieces and build your own out of the two purely from scratch then maybe, just maybe, it's possible without a seprate management system.

Casper offers a stand-alone dash harness to run the engine however I would guess I would have to figure out how to run all the power accessories

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
Reactions: 1 users

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
GM's wiring on these cars is like Lego; the colour coding is consistent right up to the CANBUS era. Get an '86-78 FSM and a 1982 FSM and make a hybrid. Thats what I did for our wagon - used a 1980 Pontiac chassis harness, 1987 Monte main interior harness and 1991 Camaro accessory harness, and 2002 engine and BCM harness - still hasn't caught on fire.

A long tedious Lego build.

Also, avoid using a factory PCM on your 86-87 swap - total junk, choose something new to run it.

I would think I could get a fast xfi system and then wouldn’t be using the factory pcm

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Reactions: 3 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I spliced a 86/87 harness into my 80 century.

The plug on the right is what you get in a pre 83 car, diagram printed is GN, my hand drawn sketch is those pinouts from the pre 83 plug.

I did put an aux panel on the drivers fender with a few fuses since there isnt enough fuses in the car to feel comfortable.

Honestly it wasnt bad.

1570634470727.png

Reactions: 6 users

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
I spliced a 86/87 harness into my 80 century.

The plug on the right is what you get in a pre 83 car, diagram printed is GN, my hand drawn sketch is those pinouts from the pre 83 plug.

I did put an aux panel on the drivers fender with a few fuses since there isnt enough fuses in the car to feel comfortable.

Honestly it wasnt bad.

View attachment 125478

Sent you a PM 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor