motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Reactions: 1 user

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
It's an expression. Your memory may not have failed you yet cause you're still a baby compared to me.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
It's an expression. Your memory may not have failed you yet cause you're still a baby compared to me.

Nothing meant by it other than that knowledge being a snap shot in a window of time. So forgetting some of it, or moving past it, isn't necessarily a bad thing. But, hanging too much value on nostalgia is.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/

Memorize everything here. This guy's forgotten more than we know.
It is worrisome that he thinks a wastegate "diverts boost to atmosphere"... When the waste gate doesn't work like that at all, like in any way. A blow-off valve yes, which Turbo Buicks don't have... But as you know, the waste gate diverts exhaust gasses past the turbine into the down pipe (or atmosphere if you're the type who runs a "screamer pipe), but the wastegate does not not divert boost into the atmosphere.

fastNYsix

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2017
There's another turbotweak chip that I didn't bother to take a picture of because I won't be using it, but it's also marked 60# but 110 octane and 24-26 psi instead of 16-18 lol.

I'll look up that book, I have to admit I'm a little intimidated by this car, it's not like what I'm used to. Before I got it, I haven't worked on any performance car in years, just been maintaining my daily drivers, and the performance cars I've had in the past were all carbureted.
Just take your time and don't be in a hurry to crank up the boost until the car is up to par. I was helping a local guy get his running, he wanted to be cheap and not get a scanmaster or boost gauge, chip etc. I told him to take it easy, well he didn't and blew a head gasket. I started filling a binder with important information I found online. check out gnttype website also.

• Agree

fastNYsix

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2017
I was planning to pull the front cover and check the timing chain and sprockets. Been told they can fail catastrophically. I don't want to, but I feel like I should pull the intake manifold off and have a look in the valley, strictly because I was told the car has a roller cam, and I don't know how else to verify that without looking.

The exhaust from the down pipe back needs to be replaced, the DP is stainless, but the rest of the exhaust is just basic aluminized steel and it's very rusty, many holes and leaks lol. I know the manifolds/headers are prone to cracking as well.
If you are looking to save some money, I just went with the standard off the shelf walker "dual" exhaust system. Sure there are better stainless steel options, but they cost way more. I went low 12s on stock exhaust.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Ya know, I've been following this thread, and I just have to wonder if dicking around with all this OBD1 sh*t is worth it. Having done a Series 2 conversion, it seems like a no-brainer to slap together a SC Series 2 short block with NA heads and run a 2 BAR MAP on the SC computer. The tuning would be easy with HP Tuners or a standalone Megasquirt..... :unsure:

Reactions: 1 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Ya know, I've been following this thread, and I just have to wonder if dicking around with all this OBD1 sh*t is worth it. Having done a Series 2 conversion, it seems like a no-brainer to slap together a SC Series 2 short block with NA heads and run a 2 BAR MAP on the SC computer. The tuning would be easy with HP Tuners or a standalone Megasquirt..... :unsure:
That is my plan for when I blow my old engine up. I am using the old engine as a learning step. You will notice that most of the Grand National crowd are like sheep. They follow each other around doing the same sh*t. Most of them are too scared to try something different or build something.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

This is the same reason someone finally developed a PnP self-tuning Mega-Squirt swap for them. Sure Accell, FAST, Big Stuff 3, etc had been available over the years but most people felt they were incapable or unwilling to learn how to use them effectively.

I will say this clearly: If you bought a ScanMaster after 1999 you are a ****ing idiot sheep.

In the time I owned my Turbo Buick (2000 to 2015) I spent a tonne of money on multiple scantools with DATALOGGING capability. In the 15 years I owned that car I never changed either of the factory original head gaskets - and that car lived day in and day out at 30 psi because I diligently tuned for knock and maintained a logical Air Fuel Ratio when doing Open Loop WOT blasts. I was also one of a few people to get MAFT Pro to work well (it was like a piggyback stand-alone that offered Closed Loop fueling under load). It took so much dedication over a series of months to make viable... but, opened a world of possibilities. Again, the masses of sheeople wanted a canned solution so it died.

I wanted to do a Series II engine so badly... as the architecture the LC2 is built on is antiquated. But, realized it wasn't going to be the return on investment I desired. So I moved on... also the TR community was drying up or just plain full of cranky old farts and leftover shitty personalities.

Now an LFX or the LF4 out of an ATS-V would be an modern jump off point with lots of potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor