New to site and would love the input on my car

Status
Not open for further replies.

87PearlRegal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 20, 2011
Dayton, Oh
I am Ryan and bought my first 87 Regal in December. It was a grandmas car stored for the last 13 years and just sold to me last year. It is a standard 2bl carb v6 with only 74k on the odometer. Anyway I was driving it throughout the winter (when it was dry) and finally took the time to tun it about 6 weeks ago. I bought new AC delco wires, Accel cap and rotor, bosch platinum plugs, fuel pump, battery and rebuilt the carburetor.

I know I will get tons of you telling me to check my wires (done 4 times) and everything else I have done that I could have thought of. ANYWAY the car will turn and turn and turn with no premise that it should fire. I pulled the plugs again today (#1 was dirty as hell) and they all sparked blue, white or somewhere in between. I think it could be my timing now, having trouble getting the timing mark lined up but what I saw @11.5 degrees BTDC (15 BTDC is stock timed) pulled the cap and rotor was over the 5 plug. Get my car running please!

Attachments

• 1202001646c.jpg
    1202001646c.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 828
:? I guess I don't understand how the timing became off during a tune-up :?:

Now that you have played with the timing, you should probably just pull the distributor and redo the timing all together :idea: Make sure the power wire to the distributor has a good connection.

Have you had the engine running at all since the carburetor rebuild :?:

can you smell gas? have you primed the carb?

Basic check includes 1. Gas 2. Air. 3. Spark -- 3 things to make the motor run.

You got spark. If it won't start then timing is not critical in getting it to actually run.

You have to check for gas and air. Pour a small amount of gas into the carb and see if it starts that way.
Problem could also be the choke on the carb. Cold starts require a rich gas mix (less air) so the choke is usually closed. Have someone start it and make sure the flap is closed -- if it gets too much air it won't start, and another issue could be too much gas in which case you would foul your spark plugs.
[Edit] Typed my response without refreshing page from last night, so yeah Blake442 would take first credit for getting you running lol.

hmmm, it ran before you worked on it, but did not run after being serviced.

I cannot emphasize enough to retrace your steps. This will almost always be caused by tech error, but not always.
I was a copier,fax,computer,network repair guy and supervisor for many years. I would get 2-3 calls a week from techs that had a problem that they caused and didn't realize it.LOL If the symptom changes while you are working on it, you most likely caused it.

As others have mentioned, prime the carb. Maaaaybe the fuel pump quit. If you have blue spark, all you need is air and fuel. I hope you changed the wires one at a time or at least know for a FACT where the rotor was sitting before you tried to fire it back up. Just because the firing order is correct does not mean the wires are in the correct spot (correct timing).

Maybe it's the 13 year old gas??

454muscle said:
Basic check includes 1. Gas 2. Air. 3. Spark -- 3 things to make the motor run.

and Compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor