new to the form

Status
Not open for further replies.

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
I have a 87 olds 442 with a rebuilt 72 old and can I run the 87 distributor in it for the time being or can I just keep it in there and need help with 87 crossmember bolting up to a turbo trans 350 do I need to buy new crossmember. I don't get on the forum all the time so if I don't get back right away thank you everybody for the help

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
If your car is a real 442, it should have the Overdrive 200r4 transmission. It's a really good trans, if that's what you have you should keep it. Lets you have a 3.73 gear and not be way high in RPM on the highway. If you have a three speed crappy 200 metric, that Olds 350 will tear that up in a hurry. If you have the O/D 200r4, just slide the crossmember forward to the next set of holes and pop the TH350 in. If you have a three speed and it says METRIC on the pan, no moving required. Just drop in the TH350. Be sure to get a Buick/Olds/Pontiac bolt pattern trans. It has a valley on top with two mounting holes rather than just a peak with one hole like a CHevy.

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
If your car is a real 442, it should have the Overdrive 200r4 transmission. It's a really good trans, if that's what you have you should keep it. Lets you have a 3.73 gear and not be way high in RPM on the highway. If you have a three speed crappy 200 metric, that Olds 350 will tear that up in a hurry. If you have the O/D 200r4, just slide the crossmember forward to the next set of holes and pop the TH350 in. If you have a three speed and it says METRIC on the pan, no moving required. Just drop in the TH350. Be sure to get a Buick/Olds/Pontiac bolt pattern trans. It has a valley on top with two mounting holes rather than just a peak with one hole like a CHevy.
The 350 motor and transmission came out of a 72 Oldsmobile it is a short nose trans the 87 Cutlass crossmember sits back too far the gearing in the 87 is 373 should I keep the 350 turbo trans or swap it back out I keep on hearing different stories don't know what to do

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Ok, so you already have a BOP bolt pattern TH350, that's good. You'd be at about 3000rpm at 65mph. That's a we bit too high if you plan on doing a lot of highway driving. The OD 200r4 that should've come in your cutlass if it is a real 442 would put you at about 2000-2200. You can slide the crossmember up to meet with the TH350. You can keep your driveshaft. The only difference is the TH350 needs vacuum to downshift properly. The 200metric (three speed auto, no overdrive) and the 200r4 Four speed, with O/D (O/D is 4th gear) use a TV cable attached to the throttle cable bracket.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
^ Also that if moving it forward doesn't reach. They aren't too terribly expensive. And like I said, if you have a good functioning OD trans, might as well keep it. The 200r4s from the 442s, Monte SS, and GN are the best ones.

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
If you need a th200/350 crossmember and you are in the CT metro NY area you can pick one up from me no charge.
I appreciate your offer I am in the Philadelphia area if I knew how much it cost I would pay the shipping I will give you the money so what you are telling me is that the th200 would Bolt on to the 350 turbo trains I am new to all of this forum stuff so everybody that got back to me I appreciate all your fast response for now I am going to keep 350 turbo Trans in because I just got it put in but just need that crossmember

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor