New to the forum. 4.3L to 350 in 85 Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSCMONTE

n00b
Feb 27, 2007
Hello All,
I have an 85 monte with a 4.3z engine and want to swap it out with a 350 chevy SB. I saw lots of posts on here about 3.8 to 350 but, none on the 4.3 to 350. any help at all is appreciated.
TIA

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Yours should be really simple. I beleive the 4.3 is a 350 basically with the rear cylinders taken off to make it a v6. If so then the mounts etc... should all be the same.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
Yours will be much simpler than swaping from an 3.8 Buick to a SBC.
1) You can reuse all of your engine accessories, Alternator, Pulley's, starter etc.
2) Make sure you use the right harmonic balancer for your engine choice, probably not safe to assume the V6 one is correct.
3) You can use the same transmission.
4) You will have to replace the Engine mount brackets that bolt to the frame with ones from a V8 car, as the V6 style hang back off the Cross Member. (At least that is how my Chevy 3.8 (229) was.) I think the engine mount that bolts to the block can be reused.

BB Olds

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2007
Wi.
jerrycad472 said:
Yours will be much simpler than swaping from an 3.8 Buick to a SBC.
1) You can reuse all of your engine accessories, Alternator, Pulley's, starter etc.
2) Make sure you use the right harmonic balancer for your engine choice, probably not safe to assume the V6 one is correct.
3) You can use the same transmission.
4) You will have to replace the Engine mount brackets that bolt to the frame with ones from a V8 car, as the V6 style hang back off the Cross Member. (At least that is how my Chevy 3.8 (229) was.) I think the engine mount that bolts to the block can be reused.
the 4.3 frame mounts can be re used but you will need to move them forward the holes are there in the frame .

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
I can't say that I have seen the 4.3 Mounts but the 229 were definately different than the V8 ones. Distinctively different shape in order to extend rearward from the cross memeber. But it is possible that they could be repositioned to work with the V8. Give it a try before you spend the money to buy new ones.

beachbum29

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Upstate
the 4.3 mounts will work, I believe you've gotta move them one spot forward, but to be honest, at 8 bucks apeace, i'd go new

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor