New to the forum, building my 87 cutty into a race car

buckcity614

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 27, 2022
No cage? Really? If you don't decide to put a cage in, then you need to stiffen the frame an incredible amount.

You're $20K + in parts and should be able to put down 1200whp pretty easily. With no frame support you'll twist that thing in half with a decent tire. The cage will cost 1/2 the price of the heads and half the price of the Dominator and stiffen the chassis enough to make the frame feel like a solid frame.
Youre not wrong about the cage at all, the hellwig with box the frame up and help. As car progresses and i get more serious bout chasing times ill come back and address the cage issue. But for now, the cars been in fabrication jail for 3 yrs. I want to enjoy it, whether its on gate pressure or something. The idea was for a daily driveable "street car" first time i swerve to miss a pothole in columbus and bang a knee or head off cage ima be pissed lol. Ill give it a cpuple seasons on the street without turning much boost up. Once the urge to get times sets in a cage will definitely go in

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I guess I have hard head haha. There are things I would've done differently with mine. But for the 1st go around on a cage install I can't complain. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I never bang on my cage and I can't hit it with the 5 point harness on, implying, it's safe on the street. 565bbchevy has a beautiful cage install that is not an 'in the way, race only' cage. Removable door bars makes the deal very good. But at some point I'll probably extend mine into the engine bay.

I don't know you, obviously, but if you can keep this turned down for more than a month then you're of a different sort. 'Boost is addictive' isn't BS. I had an 18-20psi plan with my MC, then that turned into a 24-25psi plan, then that turned into a 28-30psi plan. Now I'm on the 30-35psi plan ........... haha. My 1st build started out with a big T3 frame, then a small T4, then a small T6 frame.... and now a large-ish T6 frame......and I'm considering some nitrous for a little bit 'extra'.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

buckcity614

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 27, 2022
I guess I have hard head haha. There are things I would've done differently with mine. But for the 1st go around on a cage install I can't complain. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I never bang on my cage and I can't hit it with the 5 point harness on, implying, it's safe on the street. 565bbchevy has a beautiful cage install that is not an 'in the way, race only' cage. Removable door bars makes the deal very good. But at some point I'll probably extend mine into the engine bay.

I don't know you, obviously, but if you can keep this turned down for more than a month then you're of a different sort. 'Boost is addictive' isn't BS. I had an 18-20psi plan with my MC, then that turned into a 24-25psi plan, then that turned into a 28-30psi plan. Now I'm on the 30-35psi plan ........... haha. My 1st build started out with a big T3 frame, then a small T4, then a small T6 frame.... and now a large-ish T6 frame......and I'm considering some nitrous for a little bit 'extra'.
At this point i want to get her on the road but as its looking like i wont get it in time to have it out at all yhis season we have since decided today to add an 8 point cage with a pro street door bar kit. Because youre not wrong keeping it tur ed down isnt going to be something im able to do for long lol.

Reactions: 1 user

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Glad to hear a roll cage is going in. Now is the time since it looks like it's still gutted inside. (according to the pictures above) Later you know you will be glad you did it now.

buckcity614

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 27, 2022
Glad to hear a roll cage is going in. Now is the time since it looks like it's still gutted inside. (according to the pictures above) Later you know you will be glad you did it now.
My thought exactly.. it wont be redy for end of season so might as well donit now

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Building a car ALWAYS takes longer then expected and usually takes more money then planned. But the thing is, we know this going in to the project. We just don't tell the wives until we're in it.

Reactions: 1 users

buckcity614

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 27, 2022
Small update turbos finally mounted front end just about redy to put back on
FB_IMG_1668016974594.jpg
FB_IMG_1668028695545.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor