New to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkuch77

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 27, 2019
Erie, PA
Good looking H/O and welcome to the site. Did the previous owner tell you the drive train had been swapped? If not, I'd be having a conversation with him.

No, I got it from a dealer and they said they were not aware of the engine and trans swap. I had a conversion with them, but got the usual BS :( Oh well, lesson learned. Eventually I will get the powertrain in this car back to the way it should be.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
No, I got it from a dealer and they said they were not aware of the engine and trans swap. I had a conversion with them, but got the usual BS :( Oh well, lesson learned. Eventually I will get the powertrain in this car back to the way it should be.
You can do better without anyone outside of an OCA judge knowing any different.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
Welcome from NE GA , thats a great looking 442 you got there !

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I was referring to a 350 or 403, but, yeah, MORE POWER!!!!

Think this way for a minute about this great opportunity. Usually nobody would consider taking a Hurst car and changing it up because of what the car is to begin with. But here we have one that somebody has already changed in the wrong direction. Since the original motor is long gone why not build a perfectly streetable 455 with 400hp and 500tq. The rearend and sufficient transmission are there already and no hacking is required so it could be put back stock at any time. Again, I said perfectly streetable. Just my opinion since even a stock 307HO kind of sucks. 😉

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Oh, I get it. I just haven't seen a 455 installed with all the factory accessories like AC and cruise. I'm not saying it can't or shouldn't be done. I'm just saying that, if you want it completely stock looking, stick with a SBO for the mere fact that it's the same physical size as the wheezy 307. The only way to tell the difference would be casting numbers that not too many people would even notice. I need to get my buddy Prop Joe to join here; he's got a perfect example of what I'm talking about: 403, Q-jet, cruise, air, and will go 12.80s all day on drag radials. His only give away is the ARH headers and exhaust cutouts.

Reactions: 2 users

jkuch77

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 27, 2019
Erie, PA
You guys are getting me excited and make good points. Definitely more power is always good, as long as I can keep everything looking stock and keep the ECM, A/C, etc. With a 350 or 403 though I would still need a better transmission than the OG that is in there. Replacing the engine and tans was what I was thinking of doing in the first place, but at the time I also didn't want to decrease the value of the car, not that I would be getting rid of it anytime soon, but now since the stock engine and trans are not there may as well add more power. I need to wait till this car is paid off though before investing in a new engine and trans. For now I'll deal with the weaker engine and concentrate on getting all the little things added that are missing, etc.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The stock ECM will limit your performance, but it can be done. Keep the cam small, and send the carb to Everyday Performance for a retune when you pull the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor