New to the gbody game!, got a few questions if someone can help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyjoe.kj

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2019
Nashville, Tennessee
So I just bought an 83 regal limited, 83k miles on it, passenger side headlight bezel is broke.. but everytime I search for one to buy all I can find is 84-85 ones. They’re different, looks the same but I like the style of the GN headlights too. Would they fit?, also, car starts fine! But when car is warmed up and I stop at a red light the car sounds like it wants to die I have to tap the gas a little it shakes a little like it’s going to stall. I’m sure it needs a tune up and all that, I just got an oil change, I put premium fuel in it. But I’ve noticed there’s a crap ton of little hoses everywhere that I’ve never seen before some are plugged at the end just laying there and some are dry rotted. But all these g body’s I see with motor swaps have nothing but a motor under the hood none of these random 50,000 hoses and little boxes with hoses and it’s just stuff I’ve never seen before or even know what it is. Can someone give me some advice and tips on this car for me, like what to watch for, certain things that are a common problem, it has the 3.8 v6 is all I know. I just want a good running car you know! I just put some Dayton’s on it today I’ll put a couple pictures up!

Attachments

• AA6BB0ED-00E0-4EF7-992B-86C42331E5D4.jpeg
    AA6BB0ED-00E0-4EF7-992B-86C42331E5D4.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 252
  • D6094E69-848F-4E4A-A48E-C3818411101E.jpeg
    D6094E69-848F-4E4A-A48E-C3818411101E.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 252
Reactions: 2 users

My86R3gal

Greasemonkey
Jan 12, 2015
South of Chicago
Probably needs a fuel filter and a tune up. Depending on your state you may be able to delete some of the emissions hoses. If no one posts’ up bezels in the classified section, may want to look at classic industries they sell the headlight bezels but they can be a bit pricey.

Reactions: 1 user

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
good lookin regal, and welcome from NC!

the bezels are specific for 81-83, and won't swap over from 84-87 without changing the entire nose. keep an eye out on the classified and fleabay, as most change over to the newer front end for the better looking bezels and grille. I may change mine over (have everything, but still undecided), just been in the works for so long that I haven't thought much about it. I'll try to dig in to see if I have a spare bezel around somewhere, may just be driver quality though...will let you know.

most of the engines without all the hoses are probably swaps and cleaned up. like 86regal said, start with a good tune-up and go from there. v6's may not be fast or sound tough, but maintained right they're durable as hell.

Reactions: 1 users

kennyjoe.kj

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2019
Nashville, Tennessee
I live in tennessee, my county doesn’t require emissions. Everyone I know with older cars they have nothing but motor under the hood, I just don’t know what hoses to delete and how to block which ones. Haven’t found anything on YouTube about it for my car. I’ll check that website out, I’ve heard the 85 headlights don’t fit in the 83. I like the corners better than the ones I have

Attachments

• 9F26A86F-6343-423F-B175-69CD11FB4111.jpeg
    9F26A86F-6343-423F-B175-69CD11FB4111.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 228
  • 99577E03-1B96-4A72-9F0B-8A47E1997F5D.jpeg
    99577E03-1B96-4A72-9F0B-8A47E1997F5D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 232

kennyjoe.kj

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2019
Nashville, Tennessee
I appreciate all the help with this, haven’t found anyone in Nashville with a regal that I can talk to about it or anything. Most folks around here are in Chevelles and full muscle cars. I guess I’ll just have to get some 83 bezels for now until I can find a different nose. What about the taillights? Are they swappable? Also what kind of buckets are easiest to fit in mine with the bench? I don’t like my brown interior at all!, trying to decide if I want to do the vinyl top delete.

kennyjoe.kj

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2019
Nashville, Tennessee
So I just tried to log in on my laptop, and it said enable cookies to log in I hit accept on cookies and still won’t let me log in or edit my profile 😡😡😡😡😡

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
What about the taillights? Are they swappable?
Yes, you can put in the 84' and up tail lights in place of yours.
Back when I had my 81' Regal I always wanted the 84' and up nose and grill, I have an 86' now but still changed to a 87' GN grill.

bob_t442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 2, 2011
southwest florida
"But when car is warmed up and I stop at a red light the car sounds like it wants to die I have to tap the gas a little it shakes a little like it’s going to stall."

This particular condition sounds like your regal is suffering from dead Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) solenoid syndrome. When I bought my 85 4-4-2 in October 1999, the car ran very well on the test drive, and didn't exhibit this issue. After purchase, when driving the car at least 30 minutes so the drivetrain including transmission was fully warmed, then I would experience the near-stalling when coming to a stop, followed by a slight clunk and a boost to the engine speed. I researched on the web and found a post about a similar condition, and I replaced the dead solenoid with a (then) $40 replacement from NAPA and have never had another issue with it. I've since put another 60,000 miles on the car. The same part failed on my one-owner 88 Cutlass Supreme Classic (may it rest in pieces) when it had 160,000 miles on it, and the same part replacement lasted fully through another 120,500 miles before I parted it out.

Good luck with your new G-body!

Bob

Reactions: 1 users

kennyjoe.kj

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2019
Nashville, Tennessee
what is the part called? tcc? ill just replace it to be sure and rule out the cheaper parts first. and where on the car is it located? is there a video on youtube of the repair to that? I got a fuel filter that im going to try and replace some of the dry rotted hoses as well

bob_t442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 2, 2011
southwest florida
The TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) solenoid is found inside the transmission after you pull the pan and drain the fluid. The solenoid is bolted to the valve body and has electrical connections which you'll need to splice into the in-trans wiring harness. The solenoid sold by NAPA came with the necessary hardware to do the splices for the two wires.

I found a video that explains it.

Let us know how you make out.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor