New to the Gbody! Need help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROBNUTZ

n00b
Feb 15, 2019
What's up guys?! Just picked up a 1986 Monte LS/305. Love the car so far...I did a full tune up but having a small issue. When I'm sitting at a stop light or sometimes even if I slow down and get back on the gas, it seems like its bogging down, takes a couple seconds to get together and take off again? I replaced the fuel filter/ plugs wires/ cap/ rotor/ oil and filter during the tune up. The temp never seems to get above 125* and always condensates out the exhaust like its always cold? My thoughts were the T-stat is either stuck or missing all together and possibly keeping the electric choke on (if this is possible) please help. Thanks in advance -Rob

carl

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2017
check the oil & antifreeze make sure they are not mixing & that the antifreeze isn't disappearing without a leak. I guess the condensation is white smoke and it don't go away, seen mostly on acceleration.

ROBNUTZ

n00b
Feb 15, 2019
I have checked the oil for the possibility of a blown head gasket but it still looks fine, the heat works also. Its definitely condensation and not smoke.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
The temp not getting over 125 - that's awful low even with a stat stuck, check the gauge and if your going to look at the stat you may as well replace it. Re-evaluate after operating at correct temp.

B's 87mcss

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2018
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
Possibilities to check, one spark plug wire not all the way on, wire in plug cap not connecting all the time, or shorting across to manifold or header, vacuum line off or cracked, For sure Accelerator pump can be screwing with you. check you have good water circulation by looking in the rad, water should be moving around and no bubbles, bubbles indicate a leak somewhere, also do this when engine is cold, don't want you getting scalded. Good Luck!

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
If none of the advice above solves the problem , get a can of carb cleaner start engine and let idle as you spray short burst of cleaner around base of carb . If it revs up you have vacuum leak !

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor