New to this site. 87 MOnte SS replace with larger engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSMC87

n00b
Feb 7, 2021
Thank you all for the information...will decide next week which routed I am going. 2nd question I guess is what would my orig 305 HO be worth once its pulled ...has 105,ooo KMS not miles and has ZERO issues. In Canadian dollars.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Thank you all for the information...will decide next week which routed I am going. 2nd question I guess is what would my orig 305 HO be worth once its pulled ...has 105,ooo KMS not miles and has ZERO issues. In Canadian dollars.

Unfortunately, it's mostly scrap. Might get $50-100 CDN.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I gave mine (82K) on it to my neighbor's teen kids that had a forever working on it Caprice! Deal was they had to come and get it out of the garage. Took then about 20 min to get a pick and an old tire to put it on the back of the truck. We moved s never did see what they ended up with.

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I gave mine (82K) on it to my neighbor's teen kids that had a forever working on it Caprice! Deal was they had to come and get it out of the garage. Took then about 20 min to get a pick and an old tire to put it on the back of the truck. We moved s never did see what they ended up with.
'Pay It Forward' is a great idea for a struggling new gearhead that could use the help.

Reactions: 2 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada

I know that right now the 305 isnt worth a whole lot.
But,in the years to come an all original 1st gen small block is going to be hard to find.
Around here,all the older stuff is already hard to find because cars get crushed pretty regularly.
Might be worth hanging on to it if you have some extra room.
Guy

• Agree

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
305 is what it is. Want to learn on something that is inexpensive to fix and are a dime a dozen? 305 it is, kinda like a 4.3 V6.

Buy a chinesium turbski, wg and bov and have fun. For a low boost setup a Holley will work for 6-8 psi. It will catch eyes and be faster than most anything stock. Or throw another $500 at it and pickup a cheap standalone and wideband and use a stock TB with some BB injectors. All can be found at the junkyard without much effort.

By the time you're done you'll be collecting the necxt motor/donor and have a stockpile of the things waiting to blow up. There was a guy on another forum that had a recipe with either a 6-71 or M90 blower and single carb plate that took a 750 Holley that he regularly made 400-450 whp with.

Reactions: 1 users

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
If you wanted to be different a 283 would be a nice engine that would last forever. but to make more than the 305 you have to make sure the 283 has atleast 10:1 -up compression and big cam, proper flowing heads, plus matching stall converter, e85 or race gas only no pump gas. My 283 is a built with efi ,gt45 turbo making good power but its not a daily and it runs off e85 and or race gas depending whats at the pump.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
There are many guys over on Thirdgen making 300 hp with their 305s with all the low emission gear still in place. Mainly from swaping in L30, 059 Vortec heads. These are Vortec style heads with 58cc chambers designed for 305s.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If your local dealer has this one it would work well, it is not a ready to run but if you are trying to save money you can use other sources to get a new intake, flexplate, balancer, distributor, water pump and a new carb or even cheaper a Holley refurbished one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor