New to this site but would like info on 455 engine swap ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

455bober

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2018
I had to sell my 76 F/bird because it was physically to much for me to get in and out of it anymore . Looking for something to transplant another Pontiac 455 into but I have to be sure (as possible) the frame is good . I'm not looking for a BIG car but just easier access and I'm not looking for a show car, just dependable and OK to drive . What model would be the most logical and easiest to do a 455 installation in ? I figured you guys have been through most of the battle at some point so Just looking for some good sound advice . All help is appreciated !!!!!

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 1 users

455bober

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2018
Thanks so much ;alot of helpfull information on there and alot of studying to do !!!!

Reactions: 1 user

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
If you’re looking for the easiest possible swap, any car that already has a Pontiac v8 in it, the 301 or the other smaller one, 265 or whatever it is. This would be a ‘78-‘81 Lemans/Grand Am or a 78-80 Grand Prix. A v6 car or even a 305 would still be fairly easy. You just need the correct block and frame mounts to bolt the motor in. The transmission will probably need to be included with any swap. Even if it will bolt up, the stock trans will not survive for long. Then the rear end will need upgrades next. Good luck with the project! I love seeing these cars getting bigger Pontiac power!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Scoot-71

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2018
Rio WI
I did a 400 swap back in the day, mine had a turbo 200 and surprisingly it held up, but I didnt have big sticky tires either, at the time the only issue i had was the oil filter sits real close to the lower a arm mount, I know mine hit it on occasion and would put a hole in the filter, but thats 30 years ago and there wasnt these smaller filters available.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
physically to much for me to get in and out of it anymore
I can relate to that! I just got rid of all my 2nd gen Firebirds and if you think they are bad the 4th gen are abysmal. My Daughter has a '95 Formula and I feel like I have to crawl out on my hands and knees. As stated any '78-'88 A or G body will accept the 455 as long as you have the correct 301 mounts and brackets. Having a Pontiac 301 car just makes it EZPZ. I put a Pontiac 400 into my old '81 Malibu wagon with the only issue being the clutch fork wanted to hit the floor boards. Chevy used a bent fork to clear the floor but some persuasion with a sledge hammer fixed that. But my '83 Bonneville wagon (Bonnewagon) accepted a Pontiac 301 and manual trans with no fitment issues at all as if they belonged there. A traditional Pontiac might be a tight fit with the AC housing but not a deal breaker. Mine came with an uncomfortable bench seat but I fitted '94 Firebird power buckets and they are six-way adjustable super comfortable.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor