New toy 1981 Indy 500 pace car

N

NCTyphoonKid

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2019
Just purchased this 1981 Indy 500 pace car yesterday. Car is in need of a lot of tlc but it’s a super solid car that should clean up nice. So far I’ve replaced some of the vacuum lines but the engine just doesn’t seem happy it sounds like it has a ticking noise not sure if it’s from where it sat for so long or if the valves need to be adjusted. Oil smelled like it had fuel in it. I have the original numbers matching engine that I plan on rebuilding supposedly it spun a bearing but I haven’t torn into it yet. Also the shifter cable is broke I measured the original as 24” but replacement ones are 30” and 31”. Anyway here’s some pictures of the car I’m happy with it it just needs some love. It is car #148 of the 150 they produced.

Attachments

1evilregal

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I've always lusted after those indy cars, great score! glad you're wanting to take it back to original.

is that NC mean you're in north cacalacky?

pagrunt

pagrunt

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 14, 2014
Shelocta, Pa
Awsome find. By chance could of that been one of the parade cars (guessing that what the extra cars are called) at the '81 race? Make sure to document all the graphics cause I don't think anyone is making them.

N

NCTyphoonKid

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2019
I've always lusted after those indy cars, great score! glad you're wanting to take it back to original.

is that NC mean you're in north cacalacky?
Yes I’m in high point

airboatgreg

airboatgreg

Royal Smart Person
Oct 2, 2016
Very cool. My buddy had a corvette pace car back in the day

N

NCTyphoonKid

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2019
I think my plan right now is figure out what is wrong engine wise as the noise is worse the longer it runs I think the engine is hurt. The original I will rebuild and plop it back in. I was told the engine that’s in it is newer maybe out of a 84 or 85 as some of the parts are different like smog pump is one thing I’ve noticed along with some other differences. It would be cool to find a 4.1 and put in it

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Buick Regal / T-Type / Grand National / GNX 16