New toy 1981 Indy 500 pace car

Status
Not open for further replies.

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
Cool car never knew they made one...clicked on it and thought it would be looking at a 301 turbo T/A...that's one worth putting some $ into

Reactions: 1 user

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
I nominate your car for the "find of the year " award

The funny part is I wasn’t even looking for it I just stumbled upon it on Facebook marketplace and was like wow that would be a cool car to own im surprised it didn’t sell sooner

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Zero deck the block and take the same off the intake face of the heads. That's what Hooptiwagon Ben is doing to the one I gave him out of my car. Get some compression in it.

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
Zero deck the block and take the same off the intake face of the heads. That's what Hooptiwagon Ben is doing to the one I gave him out of my car. Get some compression in it.

Ok I may talk to the machine shop on that then while it’s apart

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Just purchased this 1981 Indy 500 pace car yesterday. Car is in need of a lot of tlc but it’s a super solid car that should clean up nice. So far I’ve replaced some of the vacuum lines but the engine just doesn’t seem happy it sounds like it has a ticking noise not sure if it’s from where it sat for so long or if the valves need to be adjusted. Oil smelled like it had fuel in it. I have the original numbers matching engine that I plan on rebuilding supposedly it spun a bearing but I haven’t torn into it yet. Also the shifter cable is broke I measured the original as 24” but replacement ones are 30” and 31”. Anyway here’s some pictures of the car I’m happy with it it just needs some love. It is car #148 of the 150 they produced.
NICE SAVE!!!!

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
NICE SAVE!!!!
Thank you I can’t wait to see it start taking shape with a healthy engine again. Planning on going through the brakes, new trans filter and fluid. The exhaust is not the best may see about doing a GN style catback dual exhaust on it to help it breathe some more.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Thank you I can’t wait to see it start taking shape with a healthy engine again. Planning on going through the brakes, new trans filter and fluid. The exhaust is not the best may see about doing a GN style catback dual exhaust on it to help it breathe some more.

Your most welcome! And Awesome! looks to be nice and solid too! I love these oddity cars, they are so far and few between, its nice to see different! A duel exhaust will make it sound great too!

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
Your most welcome! And Awesome! looks to be nice and solid too! I love these oddity cars, they are so far and few between, its nice to see different! A duel exhaust will make it sound great too!
I think the exhaust will help it to I wish I would’ve kept the hooker set up I had on my gn but let it go with the car. For a t top car it is super solid the floors look perfect, doors shut perfect every gap looks almost perfect. I may install the extra frame bracing and new body mounts once I get the mechanicals sorted on it

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I think the exhaust will help it to I wish I would’ve kept the hooker set up I had on my gn but let it go with the car. For a t top car it is super solid the floors look perfect, doors shut perfect every gap looks almost perfect. I may install the extra frame bracing and new body mounts once I get the mechanicals sorted on it

SWEET! Its defiantly a keeper for sure!! cant wait to see it all done!! And as you, have sold items I wished I had kept, maybe thats why I tend not to sell, but buy now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor