New toy 1981 Indy 500 pace car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I’ve looked for a 83 replica they are very hard to find also. I think Buick really lost when they had to go FWD in 88 with the Regal. There’s a vintage motorweek video showing what could’ve been. Imagine if they were able to continue the turbo program.
It’s a damn shame most concept cars never get produced. Like when in the 90s and early 2000s a guy with the last name Moss was in charge of Chevy’s Performance department and made up a RWD Monte Carlo with a 502 big block.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
It’s a damn shame most concept cars never get produced. Like when in the 90s and early 2000s a guy with the last name Moss was in charge of Chevy’s Performance department and made up a RWD Monte Carlo with a 502 big block.

I think a big part of GM’s problem was they were creating so many boring FWD cars. Too little RWD I think if they would’ve had more RWD options with engines that could back it up they would’ve had better sales

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I think a big part of GM’s problem was they were creating so many boring FWD cars. Too little RWD I think if they would’ve had more RWD options with engines that could back it up they would’ve had better sales
I’ve read a few times that FWD is cheaper for them to produce. One thing I’ve noticed the last few years is they’ve made everything so light with aluminum engines and plastic parts, that FWD cars don’t do nearly as good in snow as they use to.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I’ve read a few times that FWD is cheaper for them to produce. One thing I’ve noticed the last few years is they’ve made everything so light with aluminum engines and plastic parts, that FWD cars don’t do nearly as good in snow as they use to.
Yeah. They blow *ss. Not to mention all the nanny controls wont let you control the car at all. Most new cars you cant even disable them. My dad's Nissan will 100% not go anywhere in more than an inch of snow with traction control on. I have to keep the Saturn I drive in 1st and keep revving it up amd down so TC won't kick in and screw me if I get stuck.

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019

I’m sure it was cheaper when most parts were the same between all the models as far as underpinnings and engine parts. That honestly doesn’t surprise me but GM got really cheap on a lot of those cars imo.
I had an 89 Bonneville. Aside from some wierd low oil pressure light, it was a great car.

I’m not hating on the FWD cars at all I’ve had several W-bodies and currently have a 1988 Cutlass Ciera XC. I do think GM made to many basic FWD cars which weren’t appealing. Imagine a RWD W-body Regal GS or a RWD Monte Carlo from the 90s. There was a guy that made his (I think 1996 Monte Carlo) RWD the car was absolutely amazing looking.

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
Literally just winged buying these number decals off amazon but they matched the original size perfect also matched the outline of the original numbers. While the car is #148 I believe the #50 on the windshield mirror is the number it was assigned when it was loaned out in Indy back in ‘81 unfortunately I’m only guessing as there really isn’t any info and unfortunately with only 150 made the reference to other cars is very few since most don’t have a windshield mirror marking or the dash plaque is missing

Attachments

• 85A118A6-20DA-4EE6-87CF-2D663749A062.jpeg
    85A118A6-20DA-4EE6-87CF-2D663749A062.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 215
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor