New Upholstery or New Seats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsanss

n00b
Aug 29, 2021
Hello, everyone.

I've got an '88 Monte Carlo SS with factory interior that is more than starting to reveal its age. Been doing some number crunching and it looks like I can replace the front bucket seats cheaper than I could reupholster the old ones. Plus, there wouldn't be all the work of actually reupholstering the seats myself and I'd simply be bolting in some new ones.

I was curious what some of your thoughts would be on the matter. I know this is a bit of a loaded question since there are a lot variables.

I suppose I should mention that I only drive this car a couple hundred miles a year and it's not a racecar. Simply a car that I enjoy driving every now and then when I actually get the chance to do so.

That being said, what do ya'll think? New upholstery or new, universal seats from Jegs?

Thanks!

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Most aftermarket seats are not of the same quality as factory ones. You'll find the material they use fades quickly, and often rips at the seams. That being said, I've heard good things about the Jegs seats. Really just depends on what you want as far as looks.
One other thing to remember, aftermarket seats will not simply bolt in, without using mounting brackets that do NOT come with them. They ate much more expensive than you may realize. They also can't be bolted to the factory sliders. So figure that into the cost.
Your cheapest option may be to find junkyard GM seats that are in good shape. Most, not all, but most GM buckets will bolt rights up to your existing seat tracks.

Reactions: 2 users

itsanss

n00b
Aug 29, 2021
Most aftermarket seats are not of the same quality as factory ones. You'll find the material they use fades quickly, and often rips at the seams. That being said, I've heard good things about the Jegs seats. Really just depends on what you want as far as looks.
One other thing to remember, aftermarket seats will not simply bolt in, without using mounting brackets that do NOT come with them. They ate much more expensive than you may realize. They also can't be bolted to the factory sliders. So figure that into the cost.
Your cheapest option may be to find junkyard GM seats that are in good shape. Most, not all, but most GM buckets will bolt rights up to your existing seat tracks.

Streetbu,

Thanks for weighing in. I had certainly wondered about durability of these aftermarket seats. Reading through the reviews, that is just about the one thing that never gets mentioned is how they hold up and how long they last. However, I'm not overly concerned about that aspect because I truly do only drive this car 5-6 times a year. The rest of the time the car is sitting in the garage, under a car cover.

Also, I was very surprised to learn that these particular seats have an adjustable recline and built in sliding tracks! Also, even a good half of the reviewers said that the tracks lined up with factory seat studs. Reading all of this, I was honestly just about ready to click the 'Buy' button, but wanted to get some G-body perspective first.

Here are the seats that I'm looking at specifically:

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Sounds to me you want a bit of justification to buy them, so just buy them.

They'll never be as comfortable as OEM seats at that price point, not that OEM was super plush anyway, but still.

If you drive it 10 miles per year, or 10,000 miles per year, you cannot go wrong by simply redoing your original seats if the seat skeletons are good. Likely need to replace the buns. Pay once, cry once. And, they'd match the rear seats. I'd have a good upholstery shop do it as they could do it 10 times faster than anyone not proficient at it. But it will likely last for another 35+ years and look like new. And in five years, you won't even think about the cost. It probably wouldn't be that much more than your final price for buying the Jeg's seats.

If you don't need the buns, you can get the upholstery covers for <$300 for the fronts. A good upholstery shop can add a bit of foam to shore up any weakened foam if they don't need replacing, and the finished product will be new again OEM seats that are guaranteed to bolt right in.

G-body restoration ain't easy, and things sure ain't cheap anymore.

Reactions: 2 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I had just redone my factory seats when I went through everything and I am very much regretting it, I drive the car a good bit and will tend to get into it which is why I regret staying factory. I was spoiled with my GTO seats, our factory seats have no bolstering so I have a lot of trouble cornering since I tend to go with the turn in the seat. My buddy had been telling me to get the Summit brand seats to replace them, which I believe is basically the same as what you are looking at. I think I might go that way and just have the interior guy I used on the Blazer recover them in blue to match better.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I guess it depends on what else you've done or plan on doing. If the car is worthy of those knockoff Recaros, fine. You may need something that holds you in a bit better. But if your only mod is the seats...I don't think it'd be worth it overall. No stock G-body needed those Jeg's/Summt seats.

But hey, sometimes you just got to say fugg it and buy what you want.

• Agree

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Ask yourself this: Do I want my interior to look original or I don't care if it's not. That will lead you to buy or redo. Good Luck

jayonemoe

n00b
Jun 7, 2021
You can go to the junkyard and pick up new seats front and back from a two door car roughly the same size. Little fab work and bing bang boom new comfy seats

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
I purchased corbeau seats a little while back. Ive been please thus far, but I've only got about 800 miles on these seats. My old buckets were heavily warn and the driver side had a bent frame when I got them, which killed my back because it constantly leaned to the interior of the car.

I plan to redo the rear seat to match these, the new interior is to be installed this winter. I opted for these versus the recaro style because these have a more factory appearance. I wanted a factory-ish look.

IMG_20210612_124103.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I also went with new buckets in my 86' Regal but mine are from Cerullo, I wanted a velour seat that closely matched my door panels I made.
I also mounted them to Gbody power bases for both sides.
I wanted seats with some good bolstering while not looking too out of place in my car.
IMG_20210821_185409972.jpg
IMG_20210821_185442496.jpg

• Winner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor