New user 83 Calais SBO swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Thanks as far as my float levels my Holley knock off is a summit carb and was set at half the window as per instructions but somehow my secondary was dripping and went dry it seemed no matter what I did so I called summit tech support and was able to get the secondary level back but was told to bring my float levels down to about 1/4 window because the tech said I was likely having the fuel get too hot between operating temp and Florida heat and it was pushing out somewhere unfortunately I don’t remember his exact explanation.

So my floats are now quarter sight window and obviously that link is for carbs without sight windows.

Also when I follow the idle tuning instructions listed which I did prior to the video in the other post I get really good vacuum around 19 or so but the mixture screws are out a crazy amount I think like 4 turns or slight more and the drivers side has way more effect on idle quality and vacuum and the passenger barely has any effect I do believe they are both equal now though based on sight anyway

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Well, first things first: make sure the transfer slots are right. If the idle got bumped up too far, the throttle blades are slightly open requiring more fuel to idle. It's a vicious circle that I've been trapped in before. Pull the carb, set the idle screw so the transfer slots are square, THEN start tuning with the vacuum gauge....

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Well, first things first: make sure the transfer slots are right. If the idle got bumped up too far, the throttle blades are slightly open requiring more fuel to idle. It's a vicious circle that I've been trapped in before. Pull the carb, set the idle screw so the transfer slots are square, THEN start tuning with the vacuum gauge....

There is an idle screw on the bottom of the carb I thought the only one was on the linkage? How much transfer slot should be showing

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area

spicercars

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2019
Saginaw MN
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your project.

Reactions: 1 user

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Thanks happy to be here can’t wait to learn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You probably also have the 204/214 cam as well. The Camaro 3.23 or 3.42 with the Zexel Torsen posi is a good swap and just needs
28 spline Moser or factory GN axles. That alone will wake up the car. Also 1700 stall blows, you want 2000 plus stall. I have a factory 1600 stall, it is crippling my car right now. Also, I as said in the other thread, more timing. Even 10 more degrees total and 2 to 4 mechanical than fleming442 suggested.

Reactions: 1 users

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
The 1700 stall came with the package from TCI I still have to figure out how stall works in the grand scheme of things because as of the moment I haven’t done enough research to understand it I assumed the would send what should be with their transmission though seems I may be mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
It sounds like you and your dad have fallen into the same trap as mine and I did building the 67 the first time. Reliable Olds knowledge is hard to find; I've learned a lot over the past 18 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor