New Welder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
I hope this is the right place to put this. I figured some of you guys either have or someday hope to have a MIG/wire feed welder so I thought I post about the one I just pick up.

Last week my Harbor Freight (Chinese - Chicago Electric) MIG welder gave up the ghost. This was my first MIG, and it cost what I could justify at the time. I figured if it lasted a couple of years at least by then I would know what features I wanted when I bought a better unit. You can say what you want about HF (and frankly I’d probably agree) but the darn thing lasted 22 years and welded more sheetmetal, brackets and exhaust systems than I care to remember. Honestly if they still made the same unit I’d buy another in a heartbeat.

So last Friday was spent checking out the local welding supply store and 5 local box stores that sold welders, then coming home and checking prices on line. I settled on a Hobart 190 from one of the box stores. The Hobarts are made by Miller and seem to have a really good reputation.

This is what it looked like after 3 hours of putting the cart together and setting up the welder (and the obligatory trip back to town to pick up stuff you didn’t know you needed).

There were a few minor aggravations when I got my new welder home. My old HF unit was one that had its own wheels and built in bottle rack …..the Hobart unit requires a cart. I’m happy the style of the cart, It’s kind of low compared to others but it’s a good height for doing under car work with a vehicle up on jack stands. The only real problem with the cart was the predrilled holes for the self tapping screws were too big and the supplied screw wouldn’t tighten down……. a few larger screws solved that problem.

The welder was supplied with a new gas regulator, but when you read the fine print you find out that it’s for Argon and mixed gas and not straight CO2 like I use……so I ended up using CO2 regulator from my old unit.

My last complaint was that the power cord was only about 6 foot long and of course used a completely different plug than what I’m set up for. It was a simple problem to solve but required another trip back into town to get an appropriate receptacle so I could use the longer power cord I had added to my old welder.

Tools and cars a disease I tell you.

I've got a perfectly good welding helmet but..........last Sunday with nothing better to do I started cruising Evil Bay looking at helmets. Man they've really got some neat/flamboyant ones out there.

I still do a fair amount of under car welding with the vehicle on stands and a lot of places the full size helmet seems to hit on everything and just get in the way. On more occasions than I should admit to I’ve just grabbed a pair of dark wraparound sunglasses to get the welding done.

Anyway I came across these.

I’ve never seen a self-darkening lens in goggles before (and it at least temporarily satisfied my need for a new toy). Anyway they came in today and I ran a couple of beads just to test them out. I still need to see how cumbersome they will be in actual use but I get a feeling I’m going to be happy with them. The welder itself works really well so other than the unexpected expense of having to to buy one I pretty happy.

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
My concern is that those goggles may only be for O/A torches since that form of welding doesn't produce UV rays like ARC welding (stick, MIG, and TIG) does. Because of that the goggles may not be designed to filter UV rays as much as the lens in Arc welding helmets. Also the UV rays can cause sunburns on your face which is why welders usually wear full face helmets while Arc welding along with wearing long sleeves. MIG welding with shielding gas produces the most intense UV rays of the different types of welding, stick, fluxcore MIG, and TIG are not quite as bad.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
I understand what you are saying clone, and admittedly I didn't look up all the approval specs, just looked over the ad and the enclosed instruction manual:

Application Range:

MMA welding: TIG DC&AC: TIG PULSE DC: TIG PULSE AC: MIG/MAG/CO2: MIG/MAG Pulse, Air Carbon Arc Cutting (CAC-A).

Approved:

CE, ANSIZ87.1, CSA Z94.3, AS/NZS

As far as I can tell though, that's the same as my auto darkening full face helmet. These will in no way replace the full face helmet I use (for all the good reasons you point out), just be an addition for those instances where the full face helmet is not practical.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For tight spots I have a full leather helmet that has a flip up lens, I used it mainly for doing 360 welds on roll bars when you are lying underneath and need full face protection.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I understand what you are saying clone, and admittedly I didn't look up all the approval specs, just looked over the ad and the enclosed instruction manual:

Application Range:

MMA welding: TIG DC&AC: TIG PULSE DC: TIG PULSE AC: MIG/MAG/CO2: MIG/MAG Pulse, Air Carbon Arc Cutting (CAC-A).

Approved:

CE, ANSIZ87.1, CSA Z94.3, AS/NZS

As far as I can tell though, that's the same as my auto darkening full face helmet. These will in no way replace the full face helmet I use (for all the good reasons you point out), just be an addition for those instances where the full face helmet is not practical.

As long as it has the proper level of shading your eyes should be safe. Your new welder looks like a nice unit, wish welders would come with longer cords. Name brand welders are nicer than the off brands.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
You should have years of great service from you new machine. I can't remember ever hearing anyone complain about a Hobart...outside the interweb. In fact, I have two. I keep a 210 at home and a 140 at work. The 210 has been completely trouble free but the 140 is a bit tempermental. Something isn't right with the feed wheel so the wire sometimes stutters out the wand and has done so for 15 years. When it works right, it's great. I really should get it serviced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor