Newb - 1983 Grand Prix in FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babylegg6.0GTO

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2014
Ocala, FL
Hello everyone. My name is David and I live in Ocala, FL. I'm fairly new to this forum. I've been browsing this site for awhile now and finally joined the other day. I've owned my maroon 1983 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ since 2002. My father bought it for $600 and it was my first car throughout high school and some of college. I enjoyed driving it with the t-tops off and the 305ci. V8, although it's not fast by today's standards, it was good enough for me then. Fast forward to today and I currently drive a 2006 Pontiac GTO (Impulse Blue Metallic, 6.0L/A4) which will be getting a Monaro VZ conversion, motorwork, coilovers and CTS-V2 brakes in the near future. The GP has been collecting dust for a few years and I recently got the itch to fix it. It's gonna need quite a bit of work....floor pans, rear bumper and chrome trim, area where the vinyl used to be is developing some rust, new spring for the hood, windshield and below the doors also has some rust. Today, I plan on putting my stock GTO wheels on for the time being.

Plans are: new suspension, GTO seats (from my car as I upgrade to Recaros), different steering wheel, newer gauges, C5 brakes, wider wheels (atleast 18s) , turbocharged 4.8L V8, notched frame...the list is neverending and changing daily. I've been looking around for parts or parts cars for the pieces I need to fix but my searches havent turned up much. Anyway, I hope to learn more about these cars from you all and hopefully find some parts in the "For Sale" section. Thanks!!

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Welcome to the site, David.

Doug

Krazy Kracker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2013
Osceola IN
1983 Maroon Grand Prix...Hmmm...That sounds like a plan. Everyone calls mine the "Ugly Duckling" of the G bodies. Just remember the storyline,,,Our ugly Ducklings grow up to be Fire Breathing Dragons...

Babylegg6.0GTO

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2014
Ocala, FL
Thanks guys!! I'm on the hunt for parts now. I'm trying to get the body squared away first with replacing parts that have or may have rust. If there are any sites that may have OEM body parts for sale, please let me know!!

Babylegg6.0GTO

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2014
Ocala, FL
Here are a couple pictures of my car. It's a work in progress. My father and I are going to tackle the issues and get it back on the road again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 335
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 339

Babylegg6.0GTO

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2014
Ocala, FL
Well.....I got the car on the slab out back to tear it down. While trying to undo the bolts for the rear bumper, I noticed that there's a decent amount of rust on the frame, but it's mostly from the end of the frame where you bolt up. From the front to about where that rust starts, it's all good. I'm starting to debate on whether to scrap the project altogether or try and find another frame.

Babylegg6.0GTO

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2014
Ocala, FL
Here it is as of late.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 257

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Yea g body frames rot like crazy. But its only in one main area. The rear area. If its real bad its dangerous. Either way repairing that is going to cost $$ and by then a new frame would be ideal but it isn't easy to swap an entire frame in a short period of time. Floor pans rust due to leaky windsheilds. My frame is pretty rotted out back. I realized that when I changed the shocks. The stiffer ride causes the body to hit the frame. Due to the body mounts being torn off the frame. I have to fix this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor