Newb with No Ride (at least not yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1EseInCali

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2021
Hello all. I'm new here as you can tell.

I am currently negotiating with a seller on picking up an 1981 El Camino, but as with anything driven hard for 40 years - there are some issues to address before we seal the sale.

About me - I've never really been into cars. So this is all brand new and I am starting off fresher than a newborn - absolutely no idea what I am getting into. What I do know is that I am mechanically challenged and normally when I take things apart - they go back together with extra screws left over. But hey, they still function! I learn by doing, so I am glad we live in an age where YouTube and forums such as this exist - so I can maybe see how it's done and then go do it and learn from that experience.

My backstory and desire to dive head first into this endeavor is: My Dad had a 1965 El Camino, and at one point he picked up a junker 64 as a donor car - he worked hours upon hours upon hours on that 65 in my youth, eventually getting it all fixed up and cherry, almost to showroom condition. Sadly though, he passed shortly thereafter, when I was 12 years old - - and a vehicle that was supposed to pass down to me (from my father's own spoken words), went to another family member (as there was no will). As the years passed that family member and I drifted apart for various reasons, linking back up when I was an adult. I've approached him about the 65 and he has said he isn't interested in passing it down to me and doesn't want to sell it and so...I move on.

So fast forward, and I found this 81 through Craigslist and went and checked it out. From what I can see (with my newborn eyes) it is in pretty good condition cosmetically, and mechanically there weren't major concerns I could see in the engine bay. What is wrong with it are (from what I am told by the seller) the front bushings need to be replaced and there is a check engine light on as part of the TPS malfunctioning. Now, the seller went and gathered quotes - from a private mechanic shop and a chain shop - the private mechanic wants to charge $800 for labor and the parts are another $400 - $1200 total. The chain store wanted $1600 all in. their work comes with a warranty though. The seller is negotiable on price, which he has an asking price listed at around $6500. I have stood firm on getting a pre-sale inspection done and we have made plans to do so next week.

So, fingers crossed - the pre sale inspection comes back with a vehicle that is not going to need a billion dollar investment to start driving (safely) and we agree on a price that will allow me to get those items fixed....and then I'll be a proud owner of an 81 El Camino!

Sorry for the long first post. I look forward to seeing a many great things by being here! Thank you for letting me join!

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Where are you located?

If you have a pile of money, then paying people to work on your car is sensible. If no pile of money is available, then cars are best done/worked on at home in the street, driveway, garage or where ever you can get some cover. Learn as you go and don't be scared to dive in - but ask questions.

Reactions: 1 user

1EseInCali

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2021
Where are you located?

If you have a pile of money, then paying people to work on your car is sensible. If no pile of money is available, then cars are best done/worked on at home in the street, driveway, garage or where ever you can get some cover. Learn as you go and don't be scared to dive in - but ask questions.

Thanks, I'm located in NorCal.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Hello all. I'm new here as you can tell.

I am currently negotiating with a seller on picking up an 1981 El Camino, but as with anything driven hard for 40 years - there are some issues to address before we seal the sale.

About me - I've never really been into cars. So this is all brand new and I am starting off fresher than a newborn - absolutely no idea what I am getting into. What I do know is that I am mechanically challenged and normally when I take things apart - they go back together with extra screws left over. But hey, they still function! I learn by doing, so I am glad we live in an age where YouTube and forums such as this exist - so I can maybe see how it's done and then go do it and learn from that experience.

My backstory and desire to dive head first into this endeavor is: My Dad had a 1965 El Camino, and at one point he picked up a junker 64 as a donor car - he worked hours upon hours upon hours on that 65 in my youth, eventually getting it all fixed up and cherry, almost to showroom condition. Sadly though, he passed shortly thereafter, when I was 12 years old - - and a vehicle that was supposed to pass down to me (from my father's own spoken words), went to another family member (as there was no will). As the years passed that family member and I drifted apart for various reasons, linking back up when I was an adult. I've approached him about the 65 and he has said he isn't interested in passing it down to me and doesn't want to sell it and so...I move on.

So fast forward, and I found this 81 through Craigslist and went and checked it out. From what I can see (with my newborn eyes) it is in pretty good condition cosmetically, and mechanically there weren't major concerns I could see in the engine bay. What is wrong with it are (from what I am told by the seller) the front bushings need to be replaced and there is a check engine light on as part of the TPS malfunctioning. Now, the seller went and gathered quotes - from a private mechanic shop and a chain shop - the private mechanic wants to charge $800 for labor and the parts are another $400 - $1200 total. The chain store wanted $1600 all in. their work comes with a warranty though. The seller is negotiable on price, which he has an asking price listed at around $6500. I have stood firm on getting a pre-sale inspection done and we have made plans to do so next week.

So, fingers crossed - the pre sale inspection comes back with a vehicle that is not going to need a billion dollar investment to start driving (safely) and we agree on a price that will allow me to get those items fixed....and then I'll be a proud owner of an 81 El Camino!

Sorry for the long first post. I look forward to seeing a many great things by being here! Thank you for letting me join!
Welcome.

So regarding the TPS, I wouldn't pay that much to get it fixed. At the rate you're being offered, you could just bolt on a non TPS QJet and forget about it.

(Although I suggest keeping the carburetor for when you do plan to fix it.)

Also, before you even buy the vehicle, make sure the check engine light IS related to that issue. An easy way to do this, is to read the codes by using the OBD1/ALDL connector.

Once you have confirmed that's the only issue, from there you can take a look at the bushings.

I suggest going to a few auto part stores, and asking about the bushings. You should be able to find at least one, that has a person who can tell you what you need, because provided there's no more issues, that the seller isn't hiding then the purchase will make sense.

Therefore, a bit of research saves you money, and you learn something - because paying for labor only, is WAY cheaper and gets you in your ride faster. Also, you may want to consider taking it to a mechanic of your own. Not all of them are honest, and some WILL try to upsell you on things that aren't necessary.

Best of luck on the buy, and don't get suckered lol.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Welcome, got any pics of the car you are looking to get? There are plenty of incredibly knowledgeable people on here who can steer you in the right direction on most stuff. Not familiar who is out in NorCal but you might even be able to get someone who is into G bodies to look for some of the specific problems that will usually arise on them so you have negotiating power and know what you are getting into before you buy it

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Welcome.

So regarding the TPS, I wouldn't pay that much to get it fixed. At the rate you're being offered, you could just bolt on a non TPS QJet and forget about it.

Also, before you even buy the vehicle, make sure the check engine light IS related to that issue. An easy way to do this, is to read the codes by using the OBD1/ALDL connector.

Once you have confirmed that's the only issue, from there you can take a look at the bushings.

I suggest going to a few auto part stores, and asking about the bushings. You should be able to find at least one, that has a person who can tell you what you need, because provided there's no more issues, that the seller isn't hiding then the purchase will make sense.

Therefore, a bit of research saves you money, and you learn something - because paying for labor only, is WAY cheaper and gets you in your ride faster. Also, you may want to consider taking it to a mechanic of your own. Not all of them are honest, and some WILL try to upsell you on things that aren't necessary.

Welcome.

He lives in Cali where they still inspect 80's cars, so downgrading to non CCC would get him failed.

Those quoted prices are insane through. TPS only cost $30 to $40 and can be installed without removing the carb, only the airhorn. You use a putty knife to keep the TPS depressed while the airhorn is reinstalled. The only other tricky part is adjusting the TPS, the adjuster plug needs to be drilled out, use a special tool or pen cap to adjust the TPS. You can use a voltmeter to read the TPS signal for adjusting, but a OBD1 reader like a Brainmaster is much easier to use.

I assume thr shops quoted such high prices to cover their learning curves to learn such a easy job.

1EseInCali

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2021
Welcome.

Hey all, I'm responding on this post to all who have posted after my initial intro.

I probably should've clarified. The quotes are for the bushing fix primarily (and I imagine the TPS issue is included in there somewhere) - the seller went to two different shops and received those figures. He said he used the OBD 1 and ran the sequence.

I haven't seen the printouts in person.

My plan of attack is to:

1. Contact some nearby auto parts shops and inquire on the price of the bushings themselves. I know the TPS is anywhere from $15-30, so that's not really a concern, and replacing it, from what I have watched thus far, doesn't seem entirely complicated.
2. Contact the mechanic shop I opted to do the pre-sale inspection and provide them the information I have. Hopefully they can give me a quote to fix based on that or factor in those items in their inspection - even if it costs a few more bucks to have them look harder at those particular areas.

The seller and I are planning on doing the pre-sale inspection next week. So I have a few days to prepare. I am leery - - as I said I am not a gear head, and I have always bought my vehicles new. So this is a HUGE step away from norm. I think the fear of picking up a lemon has creeped into my brain too much, and I need to come to the realization that this El Camino is 39 years old so...it's going to have some issues that I'll contend with.

I do appreciate the input.

A picture of the vehicle is below.

00g0g_2IxVBAitbB8z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
He lives in Cali where they still inspect 80's cars, so downgrading to non CCC would get him failed.

Those quoted prices are insane through. TPS only cost $30 to $40 and can be installed without removing the carb, only the airhorn. You use a putty knife to keep the TPS depressed while the airhorn is reinstalled. The only other tricky part is adjusting the TPS, the adjuster plug needs to be drilled out, use a special tool or pen cap to adjust the TPS. You can use a voltmeter to read the TPS signal for adjusting, but a OBD1 reader like a Brainmaster is much easier to use.

I assume thr shops quoted such high prices to cover their learning curves to learn such a easy job.
Non CCC fails an inspection in California? So does this mean you would need to use an Electronic QJet or an EFI system, even if a vehicle didn't come with one?

And agreed, those prices are ridiculous.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Non CCC fails an inspection in California? So does this mean you would need to use an Electronic QJet or an EFI system, even if a vehicle didn't come with one?

And agreed, those prices are ridiculous.
I'm not from Cali. But my sister and brother in law have lived there for decades. So... here's my understanding and I bet others could do better:

The rule for emissions-tested cars is two-tiered.

1) if your car came with a particular emissions control device you cannot remove it.

2) any swap must be the entire motor with all emissions related gear the replacement motors would've come with from the factory, and be equal or better than what is coming out

3) because of rule 1 plus rule 2 you cannot swap in an older motor. But you can swap in a newer motor, as long as your car can support all the newer emissions tech that would've come along with that newer motor.

Basically it makes it so you can do very little in the realm of engine swaps, one exception being something that passed carb testing and thus is really expensive. (Hint, it's also the reason why so many crate motors specify that they're for off-road vehicles, or, models prior to a particular year - they didn't go through carb certification and thus aren't Cali legal)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

1EseInCali

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2021
So, an update on my El Camino journey:

On Thursday, the seller of the 81 El Camino and I agreed to have the pre-sale inspection done this week and I would hear from him Thursday night or Friday. Well, the weekend came and no word. So I started looking around some more.

Found a nice 1980 Conquista for sale, and went to check it out. Looked it over and took it for a drive, came back and the seller of that vehicle and I talked on it and agreed on a price. As it was a Sunday, I didn't have the cash in hand, we agreed I would come back on Monday with the cash. Monday morning comes and the seller of the Conquista calls me - - says he has bad news, he spoke with his nephew and his nephew showed him text messages about the seller promising him first dibs on the Conquista. The seller said he wasn't sure his nephew would bring the money... and to wait for his call. I waited all day Monday for a call and nothing came in. Tuesday morning comes and still all quiet, Tuesday afternoon I reach out to the seller and as I figured, the nephew got the car. Well, as luck would have it the 81 El Camino seller reaches out later that afternoon and apologizes for the silence over the weekend, but he spoke with a mechanic shop and we are slated to do the pre-sale inspection on Thursday. So, barring any major issues (beyond what I outlined above) being found by the shop - hopefully I'll be coming home with that 81 Thursday or Friday.

If not, there is another 80 EL Camino for sale in town, which I called on before finding the Conquista, but there is some questionable title issues with that one. The seller doesn't have the title (pink slip) but has the sign over form from the original owner. The seller just never got around to putting the car in his name, so he says. I don't know. To me that sounds like a headache to deal with at DMV.

Question(s) for the group: The 81 El Camino needs seat belts. Where should I source new ones locally? I imagine your typical corner auto parts store wouldn't have them. Don't want to really special order as I am seeing COVID delays. Would the mechanic shop be able to order and install? Or would that be better suited to a body shop? Sorry for the stupid questions. If all else fails I can order, wait for them to arrive and then install. Just don't want to be dealing with the potential for tickets - because the cops in my town love their end of the month traffic "fundraising"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor