newbie cutlass question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkovacs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2020
Hi everybody, I have never been on a forum in my life so I have no idea what I'm doing. I have a question about my 84 cutlass calais. There is this thing that looks like this and I'm wondering where that bottom nipple is supposed to go to or if it needs to be plugged. My car is idling rough and I'm wondering if this is a vacuum leak or something. I have no idea. Please help? I'm 17 and I have never so much taken intro to auto mech, although I would have loved to... I love cars but do not have a ton of knowledge because never been taught.
help.jpg
help2.jpg

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
See the two diagrams in the following post here in this forum:

That is the Vacuum Regulator Valve (VRV), and that "third nipple" (lol) is not actually connected to anything, it's just a vent to atmosphere and usually has a little gray sponge/foam like filter on it that's probably been lost over time. You probably have some vacuum line(s) that are deteriorated somewhere off the intake manifold as that was very common to cause a lean misfire at idle (unmetered air). Simply follow the emissions decal diagram and physically inspect all the vacuum lines one by one and replace as necessary.

HTH

Reactions: 1 users

lkovacs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2020
See the two diagrams in the following post here in this forum:

That is the Vacuum Regulator Valve (VRV), and that "third nipple" (lol) is not actually connected to anything, it's just a vent to atmosphere and usually has a little gray sponge/foam like filter on it that's probably been lost over time. You probably have some vacuum line(s) that are deteriorated somewhere off the intake manifold as that was very common to cause a lean misfire at idle (unmetered air). Simply follow the emissions decal diagram and physically inspect all the vacuum lines one by one and replace as necessary.

HTH
Thanks, I already inspected and replaced almost all vacuum lines before starting it. Car was sitting for 15 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor