Newbie need help with trim tag

Status
Not open for further replies.

francolsx

n00b
Oct 19, 2020
Hello Im new to the G body world the only Chevy car that I haven't owned. But I just bought a 1979 Malibu need help with decoding it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 20201018_183155.jpg
    20201018_183155.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 163

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
79 is model year, 1AW27 is body style. 1- Chevrolet, A- A-body, W27 - Malibu Classic, Notchback 2-door
Z is the assembly plant. Freemont, CA.
24V - LIGHT blue vinyl interior
A52- Bench seat
22U and 22L are body paint. Light blue was it? WA4964
02C - Build week, 3rd week of February, 1979

There is a 3 dash deal on the tag. This normally means something that was a bit unusual, like perhaps striping, or a specialty RPO not normally offered in the options catalog. In this case, is there anything "odd" about the car that would warrant a 3 dash relief on the body tag?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

francolsx

n00b
Oct 19, 2020
Wow thank you very much. Ive been looking to decode this for 2 days already and no luck. I really appreciate it. I just got the time to really look at the vehicle and found all the original paperwork from original owner. And I found the build sheet for this car!!

Reactions: 1 user

francolsx

n00b
Oct 19, 2020
Original build sheet that I found in the car.

Attachments

• 20201019_203425.jpg
    20201019_203425.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 141
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Interesting. My apologies. The info I had for 24V was dark blue vinyl. Unless I looked at something wrong. Which for me is always quite possible. The build sheet says its LT BLUE Vinyl. Build sheets aren't always absolutely correct, however. But I defer to the rest of the interior colors on the build sheet.

Like I said, some stuff comes out wrong sometimes, even for GM. For example, 1985 442 build sheets say the LG8 is a "305" cid. Which is incorrect. It's a 307.

Also, I mis-read the 1AW27 body style as 1AN27. That would be a Caprice and would have to be 1BN. There is no 1AN. The W is for Malibu Classic. I went back and corrected the above decipher.

However, your build sheet is a spectacular find, and that's supposed to list every meaningful component that was in your car when assembled.

It does say it was a customer order. AND it's a California car so it needed California emissions. Although I haven't seen anything that jumps out at me to cover those 3 dashes on the body tag. I'm not all that familiar with Malibus, so I'm not sure what that could signify.

Reactions: 1 users

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Interesting. My apologies. The info I had for 24V was dark blue vinyl. Unless I looked at something wrong. Which for me is always quite possible. The build sheet says its LT BLUE Vinyl. Build sheets aren't always absolutely correct, however. But I defer to the rest of the interior colors on the build sheet.

Like I said, some stuff comes out wrong sometimes, even for GM. For example, 1985 442 build sheets say the LG8 is a "305" cid. Which is incorrect. It's a 307.

Also, I mis-read the 1AW27 body style as 1AN27. That would be a Caprice and would have to be 1BN. There is no 1AN. The W is for Malibu Classic. I went back and corrected the above decipher.

However, your build sheet is a spectacular find, and that's supposed to list every meaningful component that was in your car when assembled.

It does say it was a customer order. AND it's a California car so it needed California emissions. Although I haven't seen anything that jumps out at me to cover those 3 dashes on the body tag. I'm not all that familiar with Malibus, so I'm not sure what that could signify.
You sir are the master at codes. No idea how you get all the information

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor