Status
Not open for further replies.

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
hi im new and happy to be here. im not good at tech. stuff but enjoy the information and experience of everyone. I was in high school in 1987 and fell in love with a 1986 442 that my best friend had bought. later in 1997 i bought a 1987 442 and restored it as much as i could, all new metal,paint,stickers,wheels,seals. rebuilt the 307. however because of money my wife at the time didnt see the need to have it around, we fought but eventually it was sold in 2002, well shes gone and i tracked down my car and bought it back last week, needless to say others were not as kind to it as i was so again its going to get a restoration but this time its going to be a frame off. I have already bought a 403 from Mondello and looking to start collecting the huge parts list im going to need. Im sure ill be in the forum alot asking questions and reading past posts. glad to be here.

Reactions: 8 users

turbogeezer

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2012
hi im new and happy to be here. im not good at tech. stuff but enjoy the information and experience of everyone. I was in high school in 1987 and fell in love with a 1986 442 that my best friend had bought. later in 1997 i bought a 1987 442 and restored it as much as i could, all new metal,paint,stickers,wheels,seals. rebuilt the 307. however because of money my wife at the time didnt see the need to have it around, we fought but eventually it was sold in 2002, well shes gone and i tracked down my car and bought it back last week, needless to say others were not as kind to it as i was so again its going to get a restoration but this time its going to be a frame off. I have already bought a 403 from Mondello and looking to start collecting the huge parts list im going to need. Im sure ill be in the forum alot asking questions and reading past posts. glad to be here.
John, welcome to the forum. The 1986 442 is my favorite year. Bill WV

Reactions: 1 user

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
Welcome to the best fourm on the web
Cool story and glad you foun it and got it back nice to here you staying with a olds engine and a 403 at that.
What trans you going with
Oh we all like pictures too

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
John, welcome to GBF from Seattle, Wa.
'78 Caballero and '79 El Camino.
Congrats on finding your old car, I have never tried, but it would be cool if I were able to find some of my old cars.

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Thanks for the warm welcome as soon as I figure out how to add pics I will. Not sure how I’m going to set it up. At first I thought definitely going original I love how it looked in the showroom. But then the crazy ideas start coming in... well since I’m adding the 550hp 403 that’s not original so maybe I should upgrade suspension and brakes.. yeah coil overs definitely. Out with the rear drums. And nobody to hold me back. I’m not sure what combination is going to be needed to get this correct. Upgrade the 200r4 or go in a different direction? I’m in the research stage and that’s half the fun. Any suggestions or good advice is more than welcome and appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
So you traded the wife for the car. What a deal. I didn't know sheet metal was warm and huggable on cold nights! Welcome to the "source" of all G Body dilemmas and knowledge. We at least we think we are. Go a mild resto mod with the exterior that says I'm original as well as the interior but then strong suspension, frame bracing and drive train. AC from Central Texas.

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
So you traded the wife for the car. What a deal. I didn't know sheet metal was warm and huggable on cold nights! Welcome to the "source" of all G Body dilemmas and knowledge. We at least we think we are. Go a mild resto mod with the exterior that says I'm original as well as the interior but then strong suspension, frame bracing and drive train. AC from Central Texas.
Well long story but it wasnt really a trade, just life. I like your suggestion about the upgrade, there are alot of good parts now that we did not have back then. I really need a good source for original interior stuff.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Two Sponsors of gbodyforum: Dixie Restoration (CT) and Mike's Montes (OH) have a good selection of parts much as anyone else offering G Body Parts. I've bought some stuff from both of them and the parts have fit well. As for AC Delco RockAuto has plenty of stuff at a good price. Specially when looking for ACDelco branded items. (Even though they are made in MEX, Spain, China and a bunch of other places such as sometimes the US)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor