Newer car gauges in regals

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
well i been driving my regal for months now without knowing how fast im going or how much gas i have lol, since my digital dash went out which they are notorious for. another good thing this would be for is since regals have the ugliest instrument panels to upgrade it from grandpa style to a more performance look. got it off turbobuick. com and will be doing this over the next week or so and will post pictures when i have it done

http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/la ... al.328909/

basically using the instrument panel out of a 92-93 park avenue or lesabre and it looks great

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
oh yea and the instructions are for the turbo 3.8 and mine no longer has that motor it has a 350 but i will be using common sense to basically hook it up the same, this might be hard for people who are green to mechanics but really is extremely simple. i will post pics on how i wired it up to a SBC

it is awesome because i got everything i needed out the junkyard for 20 dollars, and im getting rid of my ugly sun pro gauges, adding a tach which i dont have one and they cost like 40 dollars for a cheap one, and it looks pretty factory

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
the tachometor doesnt work right....

are coil operated tach's different than the ones used on HEI? you can go to the store and buy a tach and hook it up to 3.8 turbo engine on a grand national why not vice versa

is there any way to make it work right?

i read somewhere that some tachs work off the crank sensor or something im hoping someone smart fills me in

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
"...doesn't work right"

Can you explain that a little - How doesn't it work right - completely dead? jumping around? wrong rpms? ?? ??

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
it barely goes up but acts like its working for example at idle it lifts up just barely from being dead, and at what id guess is 3-4k rpms it might say 1 and a half rpms.

just got the speedometer to work boy was it a pain in the *ss lol, the temperature guage works , the volts show correctly, it lights up when i turn my lights on

need to wire in the blinkers,find gas ohm wire, and still need to get a oil pressure sensor off a 92 lesabre because i didnt take a big enough wrench to get it off when i got the cluster but man im liking how its comming out besides the rpm thing

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
Man, I don't know. Don't think there would be any difference in the tachs. I would check and re-check all the connections. Maybe hook your old tachometer into the circuit temporarily to make sure the wiring is all good.

Sounds like the rest is going well; good luck with your project

Tank

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2011
Sedalia, Missouri
What type of Tach do you have?
Did you buy an aftermarket tach and hook it up or are you using the one from the cluster?

The difference is going to be in what tach you have. If your using the factory cluster tach your problem is those were setup for a V6 in the buick leSabre. You have a V8 which would explain the ultra low tach readings.
How to fix that issue.......I have no idea.

Basically, the tach is designed to pickup rpms after the distributor fires 6 times for 1 rotation, your distributor fires 8 times for 1 rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor