Newfangled heater core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
This a new Delphi heater core for my '99 Sunfire. I can move the tubes around a bit, and it won't hold vacuum very well. But so too can I move the originals, and neither does it hold vacuum very well. I notice the tubes are not brazed or sweated in place, so does this mean there are seals inside that maybe hold against positive pressure, but not vacuum? Maybe the tubes are merely swagged into place, allowing some movement for final positioning? I though the new one was bad, but now I see I can move the originals too and I know it did not leak coolant at all.
P5280406.jpg

44whoo

Apprentice
Jul 2, 2009
hi mark, i just had the same concern when replacing the core on my roadmaster.the new core seemed very loose at the tube connection.i assembled it without the lower cover expecting it to leak and to my suprise it didn't leak a drop and has been leak free for 3 months. i think they make them loose so they can clock them to fit them in a smaller box and ship twice as many from china.

dave

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I'd guess O-rings on 'em...that's how wife's expedition hoses are sealed to the tubes.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Hi Dave! How's the springs working? As you can see I'm busy as ever.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
O rings on the hoses? Yeah, they may be on the tubes, they are tight, but move.

44whoo

Apprentice
Jul 2, 2009
springs are working great! thanks again. it seems like the last few days have been crazy for you-lol-with the a.c. odometer, and heater core where do you get the time!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
It's called retirement, man! Just have to stay healthy enough to enjoy it. Thank's for the info on the heater core. I was expecting the same thing, a leak. I'm still going to put the engine back in service before I button up the dash. But I would do that anyway, just in case.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I filled it with coolant today, no leaks. But I didn't start the motor yet, so no pressure either. Maybe tomorrow.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
OK, motor started, got to operating temps, no leaks. WHEW! So these new heater cores let you twist the in/out tubes for final fitment without breaking anything. Thank's Dave, you where right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor