No 4th gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

462cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2014
lancaster, pa
Hey guys. I installed a rebuilt 2004r a week ago and it won't shift into 4th at all. 1-2 and 2-3 shift is fine and firm in OD. Also shifting manually it will go from 1-2 but when I shift into 3rd(D) it stays in 2nd and then shifting to 4th(OD) puts it in 3rd and still no upshift into 4th. My initial TV setting was the same as when it was hooked up to the original trans. I've tried tightening/loosening a click at a time and all it does is either stack or stretch out the 1-2-3 shifts. Any ideas before I pull it?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Did you lengthen the backdrive rod? Sounds like the linkage is out of whack.
I agree. It sounds like it is actually in 2nd when you think it is in drive, and is in drive when you think it is in overdrive. Confirm your range of motion on the shift linkage and let us know.

Reactions: 1 user

462cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2014
lancaster, pa
Did you lengthen the backdrive rod? Sounds like the linkage is out of whack

Did you lengthen the backdrive rod? Sounds like the linkage is out of whack.
The only thing I have connected is the shifter cable. I'm assuming you're talking about the rod that connects to the shift indicator? If so, I disconnected that due to it being in the way of my 02 sensor on the header.

462cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2014
lancaster, pa
did you ask the rebuilder about the problem?...... :popcorn:
Yes. I spoke with him and explained what was going on. He said he tested and air checked it and everything was good, but that he will go through it again. Just looking to see if anyone has had a similar issue before I pull it. If it turns out to be something simple then I don't wanna make the guy go through the trans again unnecessarily.

462cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2014
lancaster, pa
I agree. It sounds like it is actually in 2nd when you think it is in drive, and is in drive when you think it is in overdrive. Confirm your range of motion on the shift linkage and let us know.
So it would be possible for PRN to be correct, but the other gears to be wrong?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Yep. If you changed from a 3 to 4 speed trans, you need to make sure the shifter works correctly. If you get it lined up right for a 4 speed with a 3 speed shifter, you cannot access 1st gear OR you get weird crap like now.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

462cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2014
lancaster, pa
Yep. If you changed from a 3 to 4 speed trans, you need to make sure the shifter works correctly. If you get it lined up right for a 4 speed with a 3 speed shifter, you cannot access 1st gear OR you get weird crap like now.
I swapped the original 200-4r for a built one. Never had a 3spd

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Hey guys. I installed a rebuilt 2004r a week ago and it won't shift into 4th at all. 1-2 and 2-3 shift is fine and firm in OD. Also shifting manually it will go from 1-2 but when I shift into 3rd(D) it stays in 2nd and then shifting to 4th(OD) puts it in 3rd and still no upshift into 4th. My initial TV setting was the same as when it was hooked up to the original trans. I've tried tightening/loosening a click at a time and all it does is either stack or stretch out the 1-2-3 shifts. Any ideas before I pull it?
Sorry, I missed that part...... your trans is fooked.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor