No Back Lights Work On My 86' Monte Carlo SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlas

n00b
Nov 30, 2021
I am at the last steps to getting this car street ready but I am lost on the back lights. None of them work and I think it has something to do with the fuse box as there is nowhere to plug a fuse into for the back lights. I put a picture, where the fuse should go, there is just nothing to plug into, I can put my hand behind it and see straight through.

Attachments

• IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 616

chevyryda

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2021
Hey Atlus. I do not have a schematic but had the exact same thing happen in a 72 Buick Skylark. It was the headlight switch. If I recall correctly the lights were all on the same fuse but the only wire the rear had in common was a brown or green wire running to that switch. I removed the plug from the switch and jumpered 12v to whichever wire is feeding the rear. If they come on it’s your headlight switch.

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Power for the back up light circuit comes from the "Dir BU" fuse, 20 Amp top right corner. Blue wire goes from the fuse block to the back up light switch, light green from the switch to the back up lights, black grounds.

If the turn signals work the fuse should be good. Check for 12V at the blue wire on the BU light switch. If 12V is present put in reverse and see if 12V is on the light green wire.

If on blue but not light green switch is bad or needs adjustment. If 12V is on light green check for 12V at light sockets. Check grounds.

Guess i should ask is the lock out rod from the shifter arm to the steering column present?

Last edited:

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Also check the ground located in the trunk. All the wires that comprise the harness that runs along the driver's side under the sill plate are aluminum! They can and do corrode and can break easily as they have little flex in them. Very hard to mend as aluminum does not accept solder the way copper does; different procedure altogether. While there check the contacts on the bulbs as well, the little solder buttons can erode over time.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
no tail lights no dash lights = light switch most of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor