No Brake lights 79 Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewy79

n00b
May 16, 2014
Tampa Florida
I got running lights just no brake lights in my 79 GP. They were working last nite but not now, I checked all fuses they are good and all wiring in trunk looks good. I don't know we're to look to find the brake light switch to check it. Can someone please help. Thanks

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I got running lights just no brake lights in my 79 GP. They were working last nite but not now, I checked all fuses they are good and all wiring in trunk looks good. I don't know we're to look to find the brake light switch to check it. Can someone please help. Thanks

The brake light switch is located under the dash on the front side of the brake pedal arm.
IIRC It looks like a white and (grey?) plunger that rides on the pedal arm. Check to make sure it hasn't somehow gotten knocked off or out of adjustment.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if the brake light switch got knocked off the brake lights would be constantly on...it it got pushed too far in then the lights may not go on

you'll see the switch on the bracket

S7301549.jpg

S7301586.jpg

Chewy79

n00b
May 16, 2014
Tampa Florida
Thanks for the help! I couldn't find the brake switch at first. Someone before me added a aftermarket cruise control switch, they wrapped the harness around the switch. I got that mess cleaned out (didn't work ) and replaced switch. Now brake lights are on ALL the time. I don't know if turn signals work or not. Arm for them broke off in column. I'm not so good with wiring so any guidance on this would be appreciated.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you have the brake switch adjusted too far out. Push it in till it touches the brake pedal arm enough to turn the brake lights off. For the broken arm for the turn signals the arm just pulls out and you can replace it with a new arm and push in till it snaps into place

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor