No charge need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
After buying a another alt. ,Trying another know working one ,jumping from the post on back of the alt. To the battery nothing car still will not charge battery is in trunk I'm using heavy welding lead ,all main ground are bare metal good connection ground going from alt to frame , extremely lost here I searched on here for awhile , at idle it is 11 volts till I charge battery back up, I'm running one electric fan l, aeromotive A1000 fuel pump, stock height distributor,need help driving me nuts here

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Go back to sq1

what are you reading at the alternator when running. Need 13v plus
With battery in trunk where is your charging wire from the alternator running to ?
Assuming the welding lead you mention is from the battery to the starter not to the alternator...
If your battery is junk it will pull down an alternator \ same other way round. They work as a team so when one is weak and fails it pulls down the other

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have my battery in the trunk, I run a 2 gauge Grote from the battery to the ford style solenoid in the engine compartment and an 8 guage wire from the alternator to the solenoid. I use a swithed wire to excite the alternator and the red rire from the two prong harness goes to the B connection on the alternator.

Reactions: 1 user

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
I tried to excite it manually but no change I though a 1 wire one on there for now car has factory wiring pretty much none is hacked up all nice shape so there's no reason for it not to work as factory

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Are you running a remote solenoid or does the positive cable run all the way from the trunk to the starter?

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
It goes to the starter I've never had an issue doing this before ,my circle track car is wired like a Ford ,but like I said never had an issue before using the same starter same wire

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It goes to the starter I've never had an issue doing this before ,my circle track car is wired like a Ford ,but like I said never had an issue before using the same starter same wire
What gauge is your alternator charge wire and does it go from the alternator and then to the same spot on the starter?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Do you have proper voltage on the alternator stud (13.5-14.4v at 3000 rpm)? I've had several D.O.A. from Carquest- all Mexican rebuilds. the Chinese rebuild worked.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor