No charge need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
Do you have proper voltage on the alternator stud (13.5-14.4v at 3000 rpm)? I've had several D.O.A. from Carquest- all Mexican rebuilds. the Chinese rebuild worked.
Yea it did go up when you receive it but all 3 alternators did it so got to be something else

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
How old is the battery?

Have you load tested it?

You might think you are charging it back up but it might be only a surface charge you are seeing, when in reality it's shot.

It was said earlier a bad battery will kill a good alternator.

Also, how old is the starter/solenoid? Are they drawing too many amps when cranking?

Pics of your setup would greatly help

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Yea it did go up when you receive it but all 3 alternators did it so got to be something else
So when did your charging system work properly and what did you change since then?

Reactions: 1 user

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
I don't think it's worked since I put the car on the road about 2 months , the starter is a summit high torque gear reduction about a summer old , the battery is about 2 years old it's a Excide 950 cranking amps no problems today since putting the one wire on it ,stalled it afew times today after putting new 6 puck clutch and zoom pressure plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor