NO DASH LIGHTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Compton

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2010
None of the dash lights in my 78 Monty work. All the gages work fine. The headlight switch activates the instument light fuse circuit and the reostat in the switch will turn the fuse circuit on and off. Before I tear the dash cluster out maybe someone can tell me where my problem is. Any help?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Can't be the ground the 150 ground circuit also grounds the clock and fuel gauge so if they work then the ground is good.

The number 8 circuit is the gray wire from the fuse it does have a splice in it to the ash tray light and other non gauge cluster lighting. You might see if you can find that splice and see if there is +12V there when the lights are on.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Don't underestimate bad bulbs. I know it sounds simple, but when I put the GP dash in my wagon, I noticed that most of the gauge bulbs didn't light. I thought that was unusual until I replaced them, and lo and behold there was light. Of course the first thing I checked was grounds and voltage to the source.

Reactions: 1 users

Bruce Compton

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2010
I have checked and the ash tray light works and the clock works but it is in the dome courtesy light circuit. I would imagine that the ground for the dash lights is in the plug in to the dash circuit board.
Any one know which wire thar might be?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
On one side of the dash connector there should be 2 empty slots then black, that's your ground.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
This is the pinout for the connection for the dash.
If your ashtray light works I guessing the light in the heater control / air conditioning panel and wiper switch also are all working.

Wire Diagram.png

Bruce Compton

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2010
When I took the face off the cluster I found that the dash lights work just fine . The black part of the face is so close upto the gauges that it blocks all the light out. I will try some of the
ideas 86LK suggests and see where it goes.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
yep, the dash lights are notorious for being dim. use that write-up and let us know it goes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor