HELP No fluid to rear brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Okay so I'm stumped. My cutlass is getting finished up but I'm baffled by the last issue. I'm getting a trickle... no no make that a drip of fluid to the rear. The system is new, master cylinder, proportioning valve, blazer calipers, front hard lines, all soft lines, wheel cylinders. I can take the rear line off and hold my thumb over the rear of the proportioning valve when my boy is holding the pedal and I get a drip. Was doing the same thing with the old proportioning valve and master which was the only reason I changed them

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
The factory instructions for bleeding the system have a note in them that the proportioning valve has to be released or put into free flow in order to bleed the brakes. There is a button on the one end that has to be depressed to bypass the proportioning function. When you go to use the brakes on the street, it will automatically kick back in when it feels or reads the all up line pressure.

Nick

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Summit version:
Josh, I had a similar issue earlier this summer:
Finally replaced the M/C(for the second time) and that fixed it as far as I can tell.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Verify the lines from the m/c to prop valve are clear and hooked up correctly on terms of locations. Pay close attention to the flares to be sure there is no way they are sealing off the fittings.

Gravity and vacuum bleed. Might take a day or longer.

Lastly, you should be able to blow shop air through the lines from the m/c to a brake bleeder. If your setup won’t let you, then there is your sign.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Thanks for the help guys. Amazing I've been working on Gbody's for close to 20 years now and still learning. I have honestly never had to mess with that button. But now thinking back i have never had a completely new system before or one that was completely dry so that's probably why i haven't ran into the situation. I'm going to order the tool and try again. Hopefully will be able to reset the proportioning valve that thing wasn't cheap.

Reactions: 1 user

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I had the same issue with my Bonneville. I had done a frame off and replaced hard lines , hoses, cylinders and calipers. I had the same issue . I tried the button thing and actually have that centering tool but could not get it to bleed. Then I read where a guy said to drive in reverse and panic stop. I tried that a few times to no avail. Just when I was going to give up, I hung a u turn and had to stop and backup due the the narrow street. When I hit the brake after backing up, I heard a click and my brake light went out and I could bleed the wheel cylinders,

timo22

Reactions: 4 users

stuckincincy

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2011
Greater Cincinnati area
I'll be watching this closely, I'm currentl dealing with the same situation. My prop valve tool just showed up today, still waiting on a couple other parts and I won't be able to try rebleeding until the weekend or early next week. :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor