No Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjjaffo

Apprentice
Jul 2, 2022
Monroe Wisconsin
I have an '80 Elky non a/c. New radiator and thermostat. Both hoses to the heater core are hot so water must be flowing through it, but I can't get any heat in the cabin. I pulled the glove box off and looked at the cables and one or two appear to not be working. I flipped the doors manually back and forth but still got no heat. The fan works and blows air, but just feels like ambient air temp. Which door and cable lets the heat in? I want to make sure I'm flipping the right door before I open it all up and check for an uninvited guest in my heater core box.

jjjaffo

Apprentice
Jul 2, 2022
Monroe Wisconsin
Did you burp all the air out of the system? Sounds like a big air pocket. Hoses will be warm but the heater core will immediately cool off if there is no coolant in it.
I think so. The problem was there when I bought the car too. I put a different engine in it with a new radiator and new thermostat. With both hoses to the heater core feeling equally hot, I feel it has to be something else.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
I think so. The problem was there when I bought the car too. I put a different engine in it with a new radiator and new thermostat. With both hoses to the heater core feeling equally hot, I feel it has to be something else.

Core could be plugged up, letting enough coolant through to warm the outlet hose, but not filling the core so minimal heat at best. Bar's leak was great for plugging up cores. So are eggs, and many other backyard methods for sealing a coolant leak. Especially if the coolant leak was in the heater core.

jjjaffo

Apprentice
Jul 2, 2022
Monroe Wisconsin
Core could be plugged up, letting enough coolant through to warm the outlet hose, but not filling the core so minimal heat at best. Bar's leak was great for plugging up cores. So are eggs, and many other backyard methods for sealing a coolant leak. Especially if the coolant leak was in the heater core.
Hmmm, I'll have to check it for blockage. Just figured since both hoses were hot it was okay. But, what you say makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor