CUTLASS No high speed on defrost/heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supremeone

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
When I turn my defroster on to the high setting it turns off. It works on the other settings. I’m assuming it’ll be the fuse or relay? Does anyone have a diagram of which fuse and where the relay is?

Just got the car and am waiting for my manuals I ordered so I have no idea where anything is on these gbodies. Any help is appreciated.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The high speed blower relay is mounted to the heaterbox (under the hood) near the blower motor and resistor. The most common problem is the 4 wire plug melting (under the heater core hoses, near the firewall). There is a 12ga. red that feeds off a fusible link to the relay. The plug wasn't designed to carry enough current, melts, and causes a high resistance open. Start there, and if that's not it, move to the fusible link at the starter.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
The high speed blower relay is mounted to the heaterbox (under the hood) near the blower motor and resistor. The most common problem is the 4 wire plug melting (under the heater core hoses, near the firewall). There is a 12ga. red that feeds off a fusible link to the relay. The plug wasn't designed to carry enough current, melts, and causes a high resistance open. Start there, and if that's not it, move to the fusible link at the starter.
Isn't the high speed separate of the relay? I am not an expert on G-body wiring, but mine had an issue where it lost high speed and it was a plug that ran over the top of the valve cover. If I wiggled it I got high speed. All the low speeds ran through the relay on the fan box.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
My bet is the 4-wire plug, and then maybe the relay. The relay is GM p/n 10018449. Sometimes you'll see the p/n stamped in yellow or black ink right on the relay casing with a big "C4" on them. Factory installs and early replacements had the inked ones. It's hanging off a bracket bolted to the blower motor casing in front of the resistors. Remote chance it's the fan switch on the dash.

IMG_1060a.jpg

If you're 4 wire plug has melted and have a bad connection there, you have two options...

Free + a little electrical tape: Remove plug and re-connect the wires and tape around them. Kind of a jury-rig and will look like azz, but it will work.

For $7.87 plus tax, you can get a new connector:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=381822347225

4-wire blower relay connector.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Supremeone

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Checked everything out and it seems to be the relay. The plug was in excellent condition. Ordered the relay from the local parts store and of course they send a resistor lol. Reordered the correct part for me so should have it by tomorrow.

Thanks again for everyone’s help.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor